1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Some oil filter comparison information

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Pikey, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I was doing some research on oil filters a few months back. I found a site that some may find helpful. It tells the square inches of filter material, manufacturer, bypass valve material , and anti drain back valve material of each filter. It is comparing the AC PF2 to other filters.

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/reference.html#delco
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I know a lot of people hate FRAM filters, but all I can say is I have seen 3 engines torn down that ran FRAM filters and they were super clean. I now run WIX or BOSCH just to try something different, but basically they all looked the same.
  3. Pikey

I have not seen engines torn down that used a fram filter. I think how "clean" it is depends a lot on the oil that is used. I do cut an oil filter apart when I change oil. I do it because I am curious. I have to say that I have seen a few fram filters where at the seam where the filter element joins together, there is separation, meaning a hole where dirt can pass through without touching the element. I have not seen that on any other brand. Ac filters cost the same if not less than a fram, so I will just stick with those.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I guess I am paying $8 too much for the convenience of a 1inch nut on the end of it because I am too lazy to screw with an oil filter wrench to fit this car, and that truck, and blah.

It does have the most surface area though :)

[h=3]K&N[/h][h=4]HP-3001[/h]This filter is a very close match to the Mobil 1 filter, which like this one also uses the original "performance" version of the Champion Labs design. The only unique attribute to this filter is the nut welded to the back of the can. This may be handy during removal, but it does increase the overall length of the can which can lead to clearance problems if things are already tight. They make oil filter wrenches in various styles for a reason. The K&N is an expensive filter for what it is, and you can save $2 by getting the Mobil 1 instead.
    Exploded view:
    [​IMG]

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Average Retail Price[/TD]
    [TD]$12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Overall Length[/TD]
    [TD]5.75 inches (including the hex head)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Overall Diameter[/TD]
    [TD]3.66 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cartridge Length[/TD]
    [TD]4.19 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cartridge Outside Diameter[/TD]
    [TD]3.36 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cartridge Inside Diameter[/TD]
    [TD]1.70 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cartridge Pleats[/TD]
    [TD]57[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Cartridge End Cap Type[/TD]
    [TD]Stamped steel, with bypass valve in front[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Anti-Drainback Valve Type[/TD]
    [TD]Nitrile rubber diaphragm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bypass Valve Type[/TD]
    [TD]Spring-loaded steel[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Element Type[/TD]
    [TD]Synthetic blend media, glued seam[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Element Length[/TD]
    [TD]90.5 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Element Width[/TD]
    [TD]4.0 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Element Surface Area[/TD]
    [TD]362 square inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Shell Thickness[/TD]
    [TD]0.020 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Backplate Thickness[/TD]
    [TD]0.14 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Gasket Type[/TD]
    [TD]Nitrile rubber

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  5. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

From everything I have read, Champion Labs makes the oil filters for AC Delco.

I stopped using aftermarket filters when I had my 1998 Chevrolet pickup with a 4.3L engine. When I used an aftermarket oil filter, the engine would knock for a few seconds on startup. When I switched to the AC Delco brand, the engine would no longer knock upon start up.

Since AC Delco oil filters are about the same price as the other guys, I just use them.
  6. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

That is pretty outdated information.
  7. steved

steved Former Member

It has more to do with the detergents in the oil than the filter...
  8. Pikey

Do you have any updated information that you can share with us?
  9. Cowpie

Cowpie Member

Filters are something I look into considerably, since I run commercial semi trucks. That being said, regardless of brand, I tend to prefer filters that use a synthetic mesh design as opposed to traditional cellulose construction. They tend to filter at a little lower micron level, while still able to provide excellent flow characteristics. They also tend to hold more and last a little longer, which is a major concern when going with extended drain intervals typically associated with OLM technology. Mobil 1, Amsoil, the extended life Donaldson's, etc use synthetic mesh design. They are top notch filters.

Now even though I prefer a synthetic mesh design, I also like Wix/Napa Gold filters. They are well designed filters with excellent construction.
  10. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne New Member

hey all
    choose best oil filter by the knowledge of features because sometime popular brand has not good features.The fiber element has more filtering material and surface area and internal construction is very good. There are some concerns about oil restriction because the filter element is so dense.so filter has excellent filtering capability, high quality construction, and affordable price.