1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Some SEMA news on lighting for our trucks...

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Enkeiavalanche, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well as some of you know I am very involved with SEMA and get emails and letter and Mags all the time and when I do have the time I read them.. Here is some News you might want to read..

Illegal HID Conversion Kits
    The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is impounding illegal imports of noncompliant high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits, light sources and ballasts. The CBP is working with the NHTSA to pursue enforcement. As reported by SEMA, the NHTSA has determined that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The NHTSA is specifically concerned that HID conversion kits can produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists.​
    ESC Compliance

2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, no more HID kits? What about those OEM units being included by car mfg'ers?

3. Enkeiavalanche

OEM kits which have a special lens made for that car/truck that has a cut off for the lights so they do NOT blind oncoming traffic. Take any car with factory HID's drive it close to a wall (about 10 ft away) and look at the lights in front of you. You will see the cutoff...

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's going to drive up HID ballast prices. The bulbs will still be available, I bet, as owners will need to be able to buy replacements. Those with HIDs should buy some spare ballasts. :)

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, by that theory I should be ok with HIDs in my denali projection headlights?

6. Enkeiavalanche

If they have a cut off yes.....

7. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

So projector retrofits will still be available? I want to buy the morimoto mini ones so I can do my projector retrofit.