1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Someone please give your opinion on our truck!!! pretty please!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by welcht81, Apr 17, 2014.

1. welcht81

welcht81 New Member

My husbands 2005 GMC, 5.3 ls motor. He pulled it out to replace the mains, bearing, crank, and caps. He put it all together right and the motor turns fine. This is the second time this has happened. He sets the motor in the truck and starts putting it back together then when he trys to turn it to put the torque converter bolts in, the motor won't move an inch. Tried with a bar on the crank bolt thingy and it won't move. The tries with the pully, the pully will move but i was under it when he was doing this and nothing was moving. He is so mad cause he can't figure out what he had done wrong. IT doesn't make much since that before it gets set in the truck it turns then once in place, it won't. Any ideas????
    Thanks so much in advance!!

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if this guy can do that work It is hard to believe he is stumped on this one.

my guess is the tranny is hitting the flywheel. set the engine fwd slightly also remove the spark plugs. it should turn easy. the work he did do is normally not a plug and play deal. things must be measured and fit with not much tol..

3. welcht81

welcht81 New Member

Thanks, I know he is really mad and just walked away. Spark plugs are removed. I was thinking something is hitting it cause it doesn't make much sense. I was surprised he was stumped too. He is getting impatient with the whole process.

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Something is binding for sure. Transmission not seated correctly?

5. welcht81

welcht81 New Member

idk. I am gonna go check that and see if i can see anything hitting it maybe. brb

- - - Updated - - -

Checked the tranny. It right. We pulled it back out and it turns easy. He is still stumped cause there is nothing for it to get hung on he keeps saying. he hooked the start up to it and its not kicking out now. idk. any more ideas?

6. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

I would check to see if the converter is "all the way in". On older transmissions, the converter can disengage and protrude slightly causing a bind on the flex plate. That's my guess if it's an Auto trans

7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my guess is he put in the wrong crankshaft

8. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

Is the fly wheel hitting the block? Or the bolt head for the torque converter hitting anywhere?

9. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My guess as well, wrong bolt(s), too long, or wrong head, I'm guessing too long.

10. silverado002

silverado002 Member 100 Posts

I vote for this answer. I've seen this where the torque converter is not fully seated on the front pump and protrudes enough to bind the crank. The converter must be rotated until the slots align with the front pump and it will move inward until fully seated..