something is flaking off my windows!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 27, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

guys help me out, this is very irritating...

the last time i saw this was about 8 months ago simple windex and paper towel on my windows, and it looked like there was some sort of sticky residue on the pasenger window about dime sized, so i sprayed some windex and wiped and the spot got bigger, and bigger, and bigger, then i got frustrated and wiped real hard, well whatever the stuff was, scratched the heck out of my window and its permanently scratched now....

well the same spots have randomly developed on my driver and back window now.... and they spread the more you wipe, if you use your finger its visibly something that is flaking off, soft though, but the fact is this stuff isnt going away. dont know if you see in the pictures but can anyone tell me what this stuff is???

oh and its ONLY on the INSIDE of the window, it doesnt seem like any of the tint is coming off, im just lost with this... i cant find anything on google
    photo 1 (2) (800x600).jpg

photo 2 (2) (800x600).jpg

photo 3 (2) (800x600).jpg

photo 4 (2) (800x600).jpg

photo 5 (800x600).jpg

2. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have it and many more does too! I have tried many things to remove it, but no success!

3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Is this just bad after market window tint?

4. reggiecab2000

i have yet to notice anything with the window tint coming off as a result of this....
    dont know if its related or not.

anyone have recommendations? should i try rubbing it all off softly with a microfiber cloth or something? or what should i do?

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you could always try really fine steel wool and window cleaner.

6. GeoLow97

GeoLow97 Member

Yes, 000 steel wool and lots of glass cleaner. This will scratch tint film , but it sounds like it has already dried up and is coming off. If you run into problems with the adhesive use Xenit by Stoner. It is an orange based cleaner that destroys window tint goo. Just put some towels on your door panels and clean everything good afterwards,

7. reggiecab2000

Heres what the stuff looks like after rubbing with my finger

photo (5) (800x600).jpg

8. dpeter

Can't really tell from pictures and I have not experienced anything like that. But what it does remind me of is something called nite shade. It is a tinted clear for darkening headlights and tail lights and it looks like someone used it on the inside and it is failing. I have also seen similar looks on headlights where some one used a clear coat to try and repair the hazed and faded look of them. I would get a razor blade scraper and try to remove an area as if it were something applied to the glass. I am not at all convinced it is the glass itself failing but some aftermarket tint.

9. reggiecab2000

well I know there is nothing that has been added to my windows other than window tint many years ago, I am the sole owner of this truck other than my older brother who handed it down to me.

thats what i keep thinking, but if it was the tint failing, wouldnt the tint be coming off with it? it just seems like some kind of built up layer of white sparkly powder....

random thought, i live near the beach, and OCCASIONALLY go there, maybe once a month, could this be a build up of salt overspray on the windows? but if it was that why would it only become apparent when cleaning them? not that i wanna taste this stuff to validate my possible hypothesis....lol

10. dpeter

Now I AM convinced it is the window tint. If your location has been the residence of this truck since new ( Texas ) I am not surprised as that Texas sun can kill almost anything.