Something LARGE that cought my eye in NYC yesterday..

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Enkeiavalanche, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

So I'm driving towards the Westside Hwy and the Hudson River when I see this Cruzing down the river.. bigboat.jpg bigboat2.jpg You never get an idea how big they are till you see one like this..

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Wait till you get right up next to it and then get a picture of how small one looks in comparison. Kinda like Godzilla and the Taco bell chihuahua. Hey Godzilla you want a drink.

http://youtu.be/3l3qWE7HjrY

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I take it you've never been to NYC during Fleet Week and visited the carriers.
    Traversing the Suez or the Panama in a Carrier really gives you an idea how big they are.
    Most carriers are banned from the Panama Canal because of their size and lack of ability to do any type manuevering during the transit, their considered to vulnerable to be a sitting target.

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i was gonna say, you aint seen big, till you've seen a carrier up close and personal.

Alex

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You mean like this???? codepurple...jpg

6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When I lived in southern California I was never far from the harbor, so I used to go down there on occasion just to marvel at the freighters. It was almost comical watching the tug boats pulling on those fully loaded freighters. Since living in Washington, I've been able to see a couple carriers and destroyers at one of the Navy bases in the area and they're just impressive.

7. dogred

dogred Member

[MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION], the last carrier in active service able to transit the Panama canal was the Kittyhawk. She was able to do this because the tip of the angle landing area was able to fold up. Carriers are freaking huge, I have been stationed on two of them. 1000+ ft long and 35-45 feet below the water, to 150 or so ft above the water.

8. tbplus10

And here's s little trivia ya. You know why the tip of the angle deck could fold? It was originally part of a modification done to the flight deck to make the angle deck capable of safely handling the u.s. navy's largest carrier capable nuclear strike bombers the A-3 Skywarrior. I was stationed on the Kitty 84-86 during her 25th anniversary cruise as an A-3 crewman and 03 as a technical advisor. An awesum ship to serve on.

9. dogred

dogred Member

I was stationed on the Kittyhawk 99-02 over in Japan, she was my first ship. I worked in V-2 (ships company green shirts), on the meatball.

10. tbplus10

Your team kept me out of the drink on many a cold dark and stormy night. Between deployments and work-ups I logged over 300 traps and an equal amount of cat shots on that girl.