Sonoma ball joints and wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by calicarpenter84, Mar 27, 2014.

1. calicarpenter84

calicarpenter84 New Member

Howdy all,

2001 gmc sonoma 4x4 4.3 auto 155k

still have stock upper and lower ball joints, I can tell because they are riveted in. I know I may as well do
    the wheel bearings while I'm at it, what about tie rods, idler, and pitman?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if it is in your budget then go for it. I like to be proactive on things like this, especially before I install new tires. If you can swing it go with moog parts, you will not be disappointed. I changed out all my front end parts on my 2002 at 100,000 miles. I planned on keeping it and was having new tires put on. I did not want to eat thru $1000 in tires because of worn front end parts. I did end up selling the truck with 130,000 on it. Everyone that test drove it was impressed by the tightness of the steering and it made it an easy sale.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Wow, 155,000 on the original ball-joints. Those trucks were hard on ball-joints. I had a '96 and I would have had 3 sets installed with that many miles.

4. calicarpenter84

calicarpenter84 New Member

No kidding, I couldn't believe it when I saw rivets, can only hope someone couldn't figure it out and replaced whole a-arm. No wonder my steering is iffy, and my bump stops are also disengrated