Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sony X-Plode Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by TRPLXL2, Dec 4, 2009.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Okay I have a first timer question about speakers and stuff, I was at Wal-Mart today and saw a left over black friday item back in Automotive. Its a Sony X-Plode head unit and speakers, it includes two 6x9 speakers and two 6" speakers. They only want $90 for the whole thing, I just have the crappy stock Ac Delco speakers and head unit in my truck right now. This Sony unit has the USB thing right in front, so it's easy MP3 hook up which I think I would use with my I-Phone a lot. I don't want nothing fancy to where some one would break into my truck for this, but 3 out of 4 of my speakers are dead so I really need some cheap speakers.

Is Sony any good at all, and how do the speakers hook up? Is it just two wires and you splice them and that's it, or is it more involved. I am not going to install the head unit until the stock one goes bad, so just the speakers for now. I also have the ability to make up factory connections myself, so can it be done plug and play with Delco connectors ? Thanks guys for my any answers, I am good with electrical I just have never done a speaker install before.

I guess I should add, this is for my 2001 S-10.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ya Amy,went I bought my Kicker speaker's for the front door's,the Kicker's just plugged into the factory wiring.It was more work taking the door Panel off then hooking up the speaker's.

Here is a step by step for taking for the door's
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150163&highlight=Remove door panel
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sony car audio is crapola!!
  4. TRPLXL2

Alright thanks Mike, I am going to have to do something because it 's like listening to a one sided crappy radio. I am glad that I wouldn't have to splice wires, that's a no-no in my mind.

vncj96- I am not a huge fan of Sony either, I had a play station, a TV and a computer by them and they were all junk. I work in a crappy neighborhood and was trying not to get too fancy with it, If It was a show truck I would get my Bose for it but I decided against that for now.
  5. 2009silverado

2009silverado Rockstar

Walmart has there Pioneer line of cheaper grade speakers. I would chose those over the Sony's if you had to get some cheap tunes back in your ride. Good luck on your purchase...
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think Bose is a waste of time too. I would put my four 5 1/4 Boston Acustics against the junky bose that the old man paid big money for in his 07. As for Sony home equipment I love my 3 Bravias:money:
  7. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I don't think the 6x9's will fit in the stock speaker holes.
    I have an X-Plode deck in Da Bus, and it does pretty well. It's pre-usb, blacktooth, satellite, but it has a CD, and it was free!

I guess for 90 bucks; a stereo, four speakers, and a big brand name, for a part-time ride ain't too bad...

Good luck,
  8. smylesM04

smylesM04 New Member

yea i did a kicker speaker install on my rig. they sound nice for cheap speakers. i think they are 2 way. crutchfield.com is the place i recommend geting car audio. i think sony is alright but i hear bad things about there subs.

you may wanna pickup a haynes manual if you dont already have one. they show you the hiddien spots for the screws.

just be prepared to use self tapping screws and cutting the factory wiring clip off. speakers run on a ac type setup so u can mix the wires anyway u want with out damageing the speakers.

the only major hasle on my setup was my truck is a 3rd door so i had to take out the back seat to access the last panel.
  9. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

From my personal experience, Sony products are pretty good for the money. My local wal-mart had the same $90 deal, and if my truck didn't have 4x6's in all four corners, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Their speakers have pretty good sound quality, but a big point to them is they are really freakin DURABLE. I had a set of the older 4-way explodes in the old burb (5.25's and 6x9's) and I couldn't kill them! Both sets came from a friend who beat the hell out of them just like I did, but he got them used as well, so who knows what they went through before that!

He had the 5.25's in the front doors of his jeep, which he decided to stick in a big muddy rut one day. The bottom of the passenger door filled with muddy water (I don't think the speakers were submerged, more likely they got completely covered in the sloshing around later, inside and outside of the speaker), and you know what, it still worked just fine and sounded as good as the other one! You could feel the mud in it when you pressed down on the cone too, but it still worked just as well as before! As for the 6x9's, they we're just stupidly loud running off the head unit power. Not the clearest, but it was good enough for me!

I don't know about the newer Xplode's, though. They just don't seem as well made. The older models are sure built tough, thats for sure!

And I have 3 friends who just have the basic deck made my Sony, and none of them have had any complaints about it!
  10. TRPLXL2

I think I am going to go ahead and get that setup, they still had 5 of them so there still should be one left over today. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing with it, I really don't want to cut the factory plastic to make them fit but you gotta do what you gotta do. I figure $90 for a work truck isn't bad, thanks for all of the input for this. I might install that Sony head unit in the glove box and just not hook it up, but put the wires back through the dash for later use. I don't want it out in the open where people can see it, too many smash and grabs where I work. They listen for some one to come in with a bumping system, and then they come back later for it.

This is a truly stupid question as well, but do these speakers have different depths to them? Like if the stock one's are 2" thick, are the aftermarket one's deeper or no?