1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Soon-to-be owner - 1983 Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Poppys1983, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Poppys1983

Poppys1983 New Member

Hi all,

As might be obvious from my user name, I am about to be driving a 1983 Chevy Silverado 1500 that belonged to my late grandfather. I want to buy the truck from my grandmother, and I want to offer her a fair price. Here's where I need help from you Chevy truck experts out there.

The truck is a one-owner 4 X 2 with a fairly new 350 crate motor with under 100K miles on it--no performance modifications. It is a shortbed. Also, the original interior is in excellent shape. The exterior is in average shape (it has never been garage-kept), and it therefore has a few small areas of rust. It has aftermarket running boards and a toolbox as well as a sturdy bedliner. My grandfather maintained this truck meticulously.

I understand this truck isn't in the Kelly Blue Book, and even if it were, I know the list price would be much lower than what this truck would be worth to a collector. Can anyone help me determine how much this truck is truly worth? I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Kelli
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the purchase.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I can understand your attachment to this truck having recently restored my deceased fathers 74 Chevy truck.
    Because of the availability of parts and rebuildable candidates this particular yr/model doesnt have a high resale value, theres still lots of them on the road and for sale. On Craigslist for DFW today there was over 30 early to mid eighties Chevy trucks listed for sale, many of them in great shape needing little to no work to be a daily driver.
    The market value of your particular truck (mind you with out having seen it first hand) is between $900 and $2000. It probably has much greater value as a family keepsake than it would have for resale.
    A fair price for most running, street legal Chevy's of that era would be $1300 to $1500.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I agree with Tim on availability and price. Might be a good chance to help her out, if you can afford to. Good luck!
  5. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

What a nice sounding truck, an 83 with less than a 100 is great, as for the price I also agree with Tim, good luck and look foward to seeing pictures of this classic.
    -Dave
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi Kelli, Welcome to the site!:great:
  7. Poppys1983

Poppys1983 New Member

Wow, thanks!

Thank you all for the welcome and for your valuable information! Your assessments seem fair to me. I look forward to getting to know you all better on here as I get myself acquainted with Chevys (I'm a former Ford Mustang gal).

Again, thanks! :happy: