1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Soon To Come: Installing overhead consoles and other summer projects...

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by pmf608, Jul 2, 2009.

1. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just bought an overhead console on eBay from a 2001 tahoe. Once it gets here, I will be doing a write-up about installing the console on vehicles without it including cutting the headliner, wiring the lights, wiring the homelink, and removing rear heater controls if necessary. I already put in a homelink mirror, so this console will put me up to 6 homelink buttons:gasp: what to do with them all?...

Later this summer, I will also put in a write-up about installing an AeroForce Interceptor ScanGauge in the overhead console I will be installing. This is another of my summer projects.

Project #3: I will be installing a universal power window kit in my truck at some point this summer. This will be coming later once I get a summer job and more money to buy it. A write-up will accompany this project.

My last (planned) project for this summer - I will be beginning the lowering of my truck with the least costly part - a 2" rear drop shackle. My goal is a 2/4" spindle/shackle/hanger kit with rear shock relocators so i don't have to replace my new shocks. Spindles and hangers with relocators are a bit more than i want to spend right now, so the 2" drop in the back will be a good start. I have not seen many write-ups relating to such suspension work, so I will put one up... I will make this a project anyone can do if they want because as always, I don't like to pay other people to do things I am capable of doing.
  2. pmf608

just another thought - does anyone have any suggestions on what to use the extra homelink buttons for, or how to modify them to work as normal buttons?
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow I look forward to your write-ups, I just love seeing other people do things and then post them up for others. For me words say nothing to me, it's all about the presentation and pictures that really pulls it all together. As far as the home link buttons go, I don't see why you couldn't use them for a rocker switch for any kind of accessory. If I remember right they are a 3 way switch, hi/lo/off, they would be awesome for some auxillary lights maybe. I have never used them for anything, but there is always that possibility. I look forward to your posts.:great:
  4. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I will be looking forward to those write-ups, they will come in handy. As far as the Homelink buttons, if you go to the homelink site I am pretty sure they sell recievers to program other things in your house, like lights for instance, so I do not see why you could not use them for any purpose you could program a reciever to. Maybe take the reciever off a garage door opener and use it to control somehting else. Just my 2 cents.
  5. pmf608

i think i did see something on like a g35 site or something (comes up a lot in homelink research - my mirror came out of one). The guy had a write-up about building a radio receiver to use the homelink to activate things. it seems like a lot of work though, so this might be a future project. in the meantime, i might just program them all to my door. 6 ways to open a door from one place is always good.:lol:
  6. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

keep us updated i wanna see how this comes out

subscribed! :)
  7. pmf608

Update: Installed the overhead console, but forgot to take pictures for a write-up. When i get my interceptor scangauge to mount up there, I will have to remove it and will do both write-ups then.
  8. pmf608

Teaser :lol::

Heres a preview of what my truck will look like with the 2" drop in the back. My next post will have pics of how it sits now with the canopy off.

Attached Files:

9. pmf608

Update again:

I found a place locally that sells Belltech components (amazing in Edmonton) so I bought the shackle kit today. I found to install it though, my jack and jackstands are not tall enough to do it without removing the wheels, which i dont have time for today. Hopefully sometime next week, I will have time to pull the wheels and install the shackles.

Here are a couple of pictures of the way it sits now.... This thread will have the preview pics, the current pics, and the dropped pics.

Attached Files: