1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sound like a fair deal? ~ Tuning Questions

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by kinson33, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-GM-CHE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cf78272f&vxp=mtr

This is where I bought mine at, everything was perfect and the guy is real easy to work with. Check out his store, he has the same kit your looking at for $590.00 free shipping.

One recommendation I would make is the trunion upgrade for the rocker arms, they are known for spilling needle bearings down into the motor on a high revving cammed motor.

To answer your question, that is about what the kit goes for everywhere. I installed all my stuff, so I didn't have to worry about the labor. Plus you will have the cost of new head gaskets, bolts and so on. $150+.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What type of post is this? Seriously, post some content inside of a message from now on.

Also, moved this from the coffee shop to the tuning forum.
  4. kinson33

it's a post asking if the price is fair, I could have added a few words in there to be more specific. My apologies.

thanks triplxl!
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, ok, i could have stated that less harshly ... actually thought it was span at first ...
  6. TRPLXL2

I was wondering what was up Steve, you did sound kind of evil lol! Grrrrrrr........

No problem Kinson, glad I could help a little bit..
  7. kinson33

No worries, I can see how it looks like spam.

I'm juggling the idea of a blower since I might have a lead on one. But I worry about the reliability. All I want is probably about 50 more hp, do you think that is achievable with cam, intake, exhaust, and a good tune?

My gearing is perfect right now with the 3.73's and 33"s, 1900RPM at 70mph. Would be ideal if I just had a few more ponies at the RPM range
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. TRPLXL2

Just with a really solid cam, and the supporting mods you listed should be well over 50hp. Granted its going to cost you about $2000+ to have all that done.
  9. kinson33

Well I have the intake and exhaust already. Will the link you posted be the cam that would fit my 5.3? I might be able to save some cash with a friend helping me install, would you advise on 6.0 cylinder heads to increase flow? Seeing some reasonably priced ones on ebay.

Also, would I be able to drive it down to a shop to get it tuned after install or would it be safer to tow?
  10. TRPLXL2

The one in the link is considered a "thumper cam", this is a very agressive cam that I would not recommend for a daily driver. Check his ebay store out, he has them sorted by make and model.

As far as heads go this is something I did not get into, mainly because I didn't have the money to invest in them. Your 5.3 would have cathedral port heads, and the LS2 heads are rectangular port meaning you would have to get an LS6 intake to match the ports. Alot of guys are starting to run LS3 heads, because they are better flowing than the LS2 heads even. LS3 heads are also rectangular port.

After I installed my cam swap, we tried to drive it but it wouldn't idle at all!! You would pull up to a stop light and it would stall, or whenever you would hit the brakes it would die suddenly. It would be unsafe to drive untuned.