1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio Sound system advice

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Mike350, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

Hey guys. So I'm looking to put a mid grade system in my 2001 2500hd crew cab LT. While I know the basics things still can get sort of confusing to me so I'm looking for a little advice.
    For the obvious question of budget I'd like to keep it under 500 if possible. I know "you get what you pay for" but I was hoping I could get a good clear sounding system for this budget- I don't need anything showy or something that will be heard blocks away. Just something that can be loud when I want it to be and not be distorted- handles highs and lows well and hits moderately hard.
    Ive been looking on Craigslist to try and find a good deal on stuff but I don't know what exactly to look for with regards brands etc. also don't know what sizes for subs would sound best in a crew cab.
    I already have a dual 7in touchscreen flip out headunit which I was planning to keep and use- so I'm not too worried about headunit unless that one is terribly incapable which I doubt it is.
    Speakers Im thinking mid and tweeters combo since I'm putting subs in the back. Ive heard alpine makes good speakers? I'm not entirely sure how many speakers there are though.. (I just got the truck Monday so bear with me) obviously there are at least 4 - 1 in each door. But are there tweeters or something located elsewhere that came stock that I should also upgrade?
    The things I'm most shaky on are sub boxes and amps. I was thinking 2 10 or 12inch subs- I've heard it said there's no need to put rear speakers in if subs are back there? Also are the boxes they make that have subs and tweeters all already in them worthwhile?
    and finally how many amps do I need and how many channels? I want to amp the subs and speakers.

Oh and the other thing- I have two batteries in the truck. I know the second is for snowplow or whatever auxiliary stuff. But I haven't had it hooked up. Will the alternator charge it if I do hook it up? And should I wire my system to that battery or to the main battery? And will I need to upgrade my alternator.

Lol that's a lot but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

where in Pa are you? There are 2 Great shows comeing up July 11-13 in Bloomsburg and Aug 1-3 in Carlisle.

Anyway does your head unit have 3 sets of RCA outputs? For the $500 price range not much you can do with good new speakers and amps Used maybe but who knows what you get..

I would look at a good 5-6 Ch amp From Jl Audio, Kenwood and a few others. A good set of matched brand speakers front and rear and a single sub for the back maybe under your seat.

There is so much out there but for what you want in sound I would save your money till you can get what will work for you NOT keep replacing stuff every 6 months build it right the first time and enjoy your sounds..

Good budget to start with about $1200-1500+
  3. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

I'm in the Philly suburb area. I'll hafta see about making it to those shows.

I haven't taken the headunit out and looked. But from my impression searching it online it does have the proper number of outputs.
    and yeah I hear you on the money. Just I'm going to college in the fall so that's why my budget is small. I did find this one system on Craigslist but I'm not so sure about the amp and I'm not positive the speakers fit. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4550039328.html
    he said they're 6x6s and 6x4s when I texted him and asked him to measure.
  4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

Actually with crutchfield you can specify your vehicle and it will bring up the components that will fit your vehicle,and cost, you get a wiring diagram, any plug adapters you may need included with purchase, as well as free tech support. You can save a lil money like Enkei said, run one sub, run it mono, that is plenty for your truck, to be real honest, I am not even sure you can do a system like you want using the cheap stuff from walmart, and I know you wont like it if you do. It might be best to accumulate it a little at a time and build it up as you can afford to with quality stuff.
  5. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

I've talked to a couple people and that's the general consensus I've been getting... Think maybe I should spend a little more and make my budget closer to 1000. From that point I was advised to get the best DD pioneer headunit I can afford with 6 RCA channel preamp outputs. Preferably 4 volt. And then alpine r component speakers for the front. And then getting a box built for a 10 or 12 inch sub. What do you all think of that? I had been looking into crutch field- I take it that will be a good place to buy everything? I'm still unsure about what amp to get and brand of subs- also rear speakers- also ported vs sealed cause I listen to everything. If I only get one I'm thinking sealed. Is it plausible to get two subs and have one sealed one ported?
  6. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

I have a pioneer Bluetooth head unit in mine and a 780 what pioneer amp pushing a 10 Sony explode in a down fire box bolted behind the seat of my extended cab. I replaced the stock speakers with pioneer a few years ago. I have had the system a few years, except for the head unit. It all sounds grate. I find that a down fire box works best. I built a console down fire box for my Daughters 2008 dodge and it sounds grate, and I built a down fire box for my wifes Toyota 4 runner. I just have a small 250 what amp but the box is big, but not thick or tall. It is just a little deeper than the speaker is. It is about 40 inches by 30 inches or so. I covered it with carpet and it hits real hard for such a small amp. And it fits perfict behind the back seat on the floor. You can stack whatever on top of it , It works out very well. I make y boxes out of plywood with a inner frame of 2x2s and I glue and air nail them together about every 1 inch a part.
  7. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

Box is sealed I assume? And about how much did that system cost you total? Not counting install if you had it done professionally
  8. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

You do not want one ported and one sealed woofer, you only need one 10 inch woofer in a truck to rattle the windows, buy enough amp that you dont have to run the gain very high, I like ported enclosure myself, you need at minimum 650 watts to drive the sub if you want it to thump at all, 1200 and it will be rocking hard, the size of the enclosure needs to match the sub you select to get the very best effect from it. You will need a cross over to obtain the correct hertz for your sub, mids, and tweeters, I like the polk audios for my mids, you can get them with built in tweeters to ease up your budget and you will be very happy with them, as far as in the doors go, get the marine grade speakers, they are less prone to water damage. also the shallow mount for the doors are a good choice, same quality, same sound, you really need to do some reading to get the best set up for your listening pleasure, Hey crutchfield is a great place to buy and a great place to learn about all the components. just have fun building it, and listening to it knowing you set it up. If you need to save some money and your not looking for that competition sound, get a set of two ways with the mids and tweeters together, and a set of simple cheap bass blockers that you sodder in line. You can do pretty good on a budget when you have to. A good way is to see what your buddies have and check it all out. enjoy ....
  9. Mike350

Mike350 New Member

Thanks for all the Info... Only two places you lost me there were crossovers and bass blockers. Other than that I understood it all.
    I've been told ported are for hip hop/rap and sealed for country/rock - is that true? And I listen to all of those so will either be adequate enough for a nice sound on everything?
    Also I just saw this deal for a pioneer amp with a free sub on crutch field- is this a good buy or not so much? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130D1200M/Pioneer-Stage-4-PRS-D1200M.html
    (I apologize for any noobness or ignorance on my part- I'm relatively new to all this and trying to Gather information and learn up and make an educated and good purchase)

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing- does the RMS of a headunit matter since its all getting amped anyway? I was looking at a kenwood and a pioneer. The pioneer is 14 rms and the kenwood is 22- they both peak at 50 they're both 4 volt with 6 channel preamp outputs. Is that really a big difference or no?
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If it's a Kenwood Exxlon head unit I would go with that over Pioneer for ease of use and sound.As for speakers PLEASE stay away from Pioneer unless you want ear bleeds. Very bright and Harsh sounding and I have worked and sold everything under the sun when it comes to 12 Volt I also worked for Sony for 15 years building and testing Speakers ,amps and more. No I will not tell you to buy Sony ether.. A sealed box when made right with the right air will be the tighter Bass and good for all around music A ported box is more for your Hip hop Rap stuff and tuned to sound good only on some bass notes.

Becareful of amps that say 1200 watts that only give about 300 RMS A good amp is still about $1.00 per watt as I said before JL Audio, Kenwood Exlon are Great bullet proof amps if installed right. Stay away from Best Buy and find a good 12 Volt shop to hear good speakers.