Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Spare Tire Carrier .... [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MN_Burbon, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

84fiero123 reminded me of something in one of his posts, 4x8 sheets of plywood etc....

Has any body done anything with relocating the spare tire? In my '95 its in the cargo bay on the driver side. I can get a full sheet of plywood in there but several times I have thought that it may be more convenient to move the spare somewhere else.

Anybody else thought about this or better yet done anything about it? Maybe the spare is in different places in different years.....

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My '78 has a full-sized spare in the cargo bay affixed to the passanger side. It's just about exactly even with the wheel well. I have no problem getting 4x8 sheets of plywood into the back. I have a tailgate so I can't put the spare anywhere else unless I get a full slide-out spare-tire carrier or a roof-mount tire carrier.

I've seen both, but it's not that big of a deal for me. I even have a nifty little cover for the spare.

3. 3com

3com Member

they do make a hitch spare tire carrier, but to be honest i've never needed to move the spare from passenger compartment. and i've owned burban's since 1990.

4. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

I guess I should clarify that its not so much a "need" I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back. Just seems out of place inside the truck to me, Not to mention that the spare is not the same size as my tires anymore. I was considering getting one of those big offroad roof racks and just putting it up there like the serious 4x4 guys. Or trying to mount it underneath the back. (very low priority project for me)

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I see a guy driving around town (must live by me) who's got a Jeep Cherokee (probably mid 90's) that's all decked out for rally racing. He's got his spare on top where the luggage rack would go. Looks pretty mean, but it's got to be hard to get to.

6. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Those are all common around here in the mountains and/or desert.

7. CWF

CWF New Member

After getting two flat tires and having only one spare in Death Valley, CA weekend before last while driving a friend's truck, it's made me want to carry another spare for my 2001 Suburban. I've got one of those cargo racks that attaches to the rear receiver so maybe I'll try to find a way to mount a spare to it. Up top would be too high and inside would take up too much cargo space.

8. ChevyFan

Sounds like a good plan. I can't imagine that it would be much fun at all being in Death Valley without a spare or two, or three.

9. ChevyFan

Brings up a question, how much weight can one of those hitch carriers hold?

10. CWF

CWF New Member

500 pounds according to the specs. The one I have is hinged so it can be folded up so two arms can be folded down for use as a bike carrier. After posting, I did a search and found this: http://www.discount-trailers.com/tire_rack.htm
    I bet it would rattle around quite a bit especially on the kind of roads where I'd need that second spare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.