Spare tire carrier remove&replace

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ohenry, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ohenry

ohenry New Member

I have a 2004 Silverado, 1500, 2wd, ext. cab. Yesterday, I attempted to drop the spare tire just to make sure I could if I ever needed to do so. Needless to say, I couldn't.

It looks as though I will have to cut the cable with an angle grinder in order to get the spare tire out of the way, then replace the entire mechanism. Has anyone performed this R&R (remove and replace)? How hard is it? Where did you obtain the replacement parts? New or used? Cost?

Thanks in advance,
    Henry Nettles

2. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

try spraying it generously with WD-40, then let it sit and soak for a few hours or even overnight. should budge loose after that.

3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Never had to do that but can you WD-40 te cable arm in hopes of loosening some stuck metal?

4. ohenry

ohenry New Member

The problem is not rusted metal, it is slipping plastic gears (or at least that's what it feels like).

5. poncho08

poncho08 Rockstar 100 Posts

had to do this many times when i worked at the tire shop. what the problime might be is that the last time it was used someone might of cranked it up when the truck was at an angil cosing the cable to spool in one spot and bind and jam. it probly cost someweres under $50 bucks to replace it or evan cheaper at a pick and pull.

6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

And it's not that hard to cahnge if need be. Try having some crank while you pull down on the spare at the same time, this can free it from being caught. The post about being wound up incorrectly does happen quite a lot.....Also, use lithium grease when you have it down and generously lube all of it up when you have finished, this will not freeze in the cold weather, or cake in the heat....

Jeff

7. ohenry

ohenry New Member

I spent two hours under the truck yesterday, trying to get the tire down so I could remove the assembly ("spare tire carrier" in case you ever need to search for it). The new part costs $75 plus an unspecified amount for shipping from www.gmpartsclub.com. There is one used one on Ebay for $40 plus $13 shipping. The retail price is $150, cost $215 installed at the body shop.

I cut the spring off the end of the cable with a hack saw, the tire did not drop. I then cut the "swag" off the end of the cable with an angle grinder, the tire did not drop. After two hours laying under the truck, I gave up and took it to the shop.

8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

mine works. but ,y problem is that the previous owner kept the tool, the jack, and the jack handle when he sold it. i didnt know about it, didnt even think about it until my wheel fell off infront of keenland on the day of the kentucky derby!!! i was soooooooo pissed