Spare Tire Carrier...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SCPOBob, Oct 1, 2012.

1. SCPOBob

SCPOBob New Member

First...shame on me, bought a used truck without a jack or tire carrier crank handle, now that I am passed that: Anyone have an "easy" solution for lowering the spare tire from the carrier until I can get my hands on a tire carrier crank handle? I need to lower the spare down in order to install a fifth wheel hitch on my 2005 Silverado 2500HD...I am also going to see if the local dealers might have one, but I am sure they will be very proud of those handles.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I suggest going to a junk yard to get one. In the mean time a big flat head screwdriver might fit in the slot well. Then turn it with an adjustable wrench. maybe a large prybar with a flat end? I wonder if the one for the 1500 is the same as the 2500.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. SCPOBob

SCPOBob New Member

So after an afternoon of calling Dealerships and junkyards, I found a Dealer that said they had the "right" parts...after getting them home I found that the stuff I bought didn't work as the winch did not accept the flat-blade of the handle (nor was it even long enough). So after looking everything over I determined that the plastic tubing covering the winch mechanism had to go...so after I ripped that off (no damage) I found that the interfacing part of the winch was a 1/2in square head. So I grabbed my self a long extension, my speed wrench, and a 1/2in socket....bada bing 5min later my spare was on the ground free and clear of the truck.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it off. My 02 had a flat thing in there. I don't know what my 05 has.