Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Spare tire hoist tool update FYI

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Kan1ck, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

To provide update to my earlier thread (closed).
    I mulled the idea of adding filler weld to the inside surfaces of that 1/2" square drive socket (that I had welded to the long rod).
    I then hit upon the idea of trying a 7/16", 8-point socket to see if it would fit.
    Pretty close but a bit too small to slip onto the male tool stem of the hoist.
    I needed to "expand" the inside dimensions of the socket just a hair to get a tight fit.
    To expand the socket, I selected a drift punch that miked out at about .040" bigger O.D. than the inside measurements of the socket.
    I then heated the socket with a MAPP torch and drove the punch into the 8-point end of the socket.
    Quenched the socket in oil.
    The enlarged socket is a perfect match to the hoist stem.
    Next I will fabricate an operating handle for the end of the rod that will be out away from the rear bumper when I use the hoist tools.
    thanks to all who helped out with getting the necessary info for me to get along with this little project.:great: