Spare tire hoist tool

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Kan1ck, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

I recently bought a 2007 Silverado, regular cab.
    The spare tire tools (and jack) were missing.
    I plan to use a hydraulic bottle jack for lifting but I need to know the dimensions of the "square drive" end of the hoist operating rod so I can fabricate a rod to operate the spare tire hoist.
    I know it is neither 3/8" nor 1/2' square drive, so a long extension from my tool box isn't gonna do the trick.
    I can't get an eyeball on the female receiver for the rod.
    Anybody out there can measure this square drive end and post the dimensions please?

2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I have never looked at my new truck tire spare yet, but our last 2 GM's simply had a flat screwdriver end on the lowering tool!!!..Don't know if that is much help,
    but on one of our vehicles, I was able to use a long Tire - Iron with the flat screwdriver end once or twice a year to drop the spare to lube and clean
    above the spare tire without having to unpack the original spare tool. Brian

3. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

You might want to look at the difference in your new truck spare tire hoisting set-up.
    On mine, there is a long, hollow tube that spans from the hoist diagonally to the rear bumper. Probably 20 or so inches long.
    Any tool to engage the hoist receiver socket is going to have to be about 30" long to allow it to extend beyond the bumper.
    The owner's manual shows the OEM tool and it is clearly a square drive end that engages the hoist receiver, I just need someone to accurately measure the square sides so I will know what size to fabricate the end of my custom hoist rod.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I used a 12mm wrench to turn mine since it didn't come with a tool. But I stole the tool out of my dads ford and it fits. So I'm going say around 11-12mm so 15/32.

5. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

Thanks riley. OK, from your explanation I think you are telling me you used a 12mm open end wrench to turn the long rod that engages to the tool port on the hoist itself.
    My problem has been that I don't have any of the OEM tire tool kit at all. So I have attempted to make the long rod by welding a cut off 1/2" square drive ratchet extension on the end of a length of 1/2" round bar stock. That size did not fit into the hoist receiver port. I figured it was too big so I then welded a 3/8" square drive on the opposite end of bar stock. That too did not fit (probably went inside the receiver but not actually engage cause too small).
    I am going to grind the 1/2" square end down to 12mm and try it again.
    I'll post back the results.

6. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

I hope the image is clear enough to describe what I need to accomplish.
    I now think the tool receiver on the hoist must be a MALE square drive........based on what rileyjr stated in his post, plus the male and female ends of the OEM tool kit imply that too. I was thinking the tool receiver on the hoist to be FEMALE but the image hints otherwise.
    I will just have to fabricate a FEMALE end for the rod I have been making. tool description.jpg

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Kan1ck:

Inside dimensions on the square end of the rod is 1/2". Diagonally is going to be 5/8". I didn't find those on the internet, I grabbed a tape measure and measured it for you. Doesn't mean it's accurate for your truck, but I hope it's what you needed!

*EDIT*

Realized after I was done posting that I also thought that the end on the inside of the tube was a male end requiring the female end of the rod. I took a picture of the end of the rod used in the tube:

[​IMG]

Measurements on this include:

Total length: 7/8"
    Width: 9/16"
    Length of hooked end: 3/16"
    Thickness: 3/16" + (between 3/16" and 1/4" exactly center)

Guessing that you can heat and bend that hook in it. Again, this is for a classic body style and they may have changed it on the newer body styles.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  8. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

Thanks for measuring the square drive end. I can come up with a 1/2" female square drive end easy enough as I have a number of small 1/2" drive sockets that are worn out, useless for nuts & bolts but might be ideal for this.
    According to my OEM Owner's Manual, the section of tool kit rod with a hooked end is only for operating the vehicle lifting jack, not anything to do with hoist operation.
    Tomorrow I will pick out a suitable worn out socket and try that.

9. Kan1ck

Kan1ck New Member

Thanks to rileyjr and jimmeh for the helpful information.
    An old 1/2" drive X 3/8" 12 point socket welded onto the rod I've been working with confirms that I'm now heading in the right direction.
    The 1/2" square fits a little loose and sloppy on the tool stem of the hoist, but it turns the hoist and can be used "as is".
    I am probably gonna try for a better fit of female rod end to male hoist stem. Likely I will lay in a shallow weld of filler on 2 adjoining "flats" inside the socket square and then dress the welded material to a good tight fit using my die grinder and a carbide burr bit.
    I'll let you know how it goes.:happy:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

*thread trimmed, as we all know this is a family forum and there isnt a need for inflamatory comments.*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.