Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

spare tire in 99 burban (warning - n00b)

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dlaude6, Nov 11, 2009.

1. dlaude6

dlaude6 Member

hey guys I just got a 99 gmc suburban and the spare was already on it. Finally got around to getting a new wheel/tire today so I could have my spare as a spare. I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of their spare stored in back, in the proper location. I can't seem to get mine back in there snug. It is a full size spare that's supposed to be there, right? Mine is, and I just assumed that the spare I took off was the spare from this truck...meaning it should fit nicely, right? Well, if any of you have any tips on how to get it snug against the body, please let's hear it. I think I got it located correctly, but I'm not sure if the inside of the wheel should be on the inside of the truck or vice versa. It won't really fit one way but when I flip it around it fits but the hook to loop something through to hold the spare in place is kinda far from the place to hold it down. Thanks.

2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Is it supposed to be stored inside or underneath the truck...? Most I've seen are stored underneath the rear of the cabin, just behind the rear bumper...

3. dlaude6

dlaude6 Member

No it's stored inside the truck, right by the rear doors on the driver side. I think I figured out which way it should go, but what sort of hardware is used to bolt it in place? I don't have this, I'll need to make/rig something I think...

4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

It usually goes in with the inside of the wheel facing out (so you can see it) and there is a large butterfly nut that holds it against the side of the truck... There should be a bolt on the side panel there...

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!

My mom had a 2001 S-10 Blazer with a spare tire like that, and we about never got that thing back in when we replaced it! Good luck with that.....

6. dlaude6

dlaude6 Member

Yeah it's not a bolt but rather a loop, like to hook something on to...

7. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The tire does mount in that location. There should be a mount on the floor to set the tire in, then a wheel pad, a threaded "J" hook (that fits in the hoop), and a great big wing nut.

If you don't have this stuff, look in the access panel - driver's side, 3rd row. The jack should be stored there, and the other parts may be there, too.

The spare is inside, not underneath, because of the size and location of the fuel tank.

Good luck,

8. dlaude6

dlaude6 Member

Yeah thanks, I have none of this stuff. At least I have a jack in the access panel. I'll just rig something up I s'pose. Thanks for the help guys.