Spare Tire Release "plumbing" broke, how to lower tire? (spare tire kit)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, my truck was hit from behind and the plastic tubing for the spare tire release/lowering is now removed from the system. Well my tire is flat and I need to lower that rim and put it on. How can I do this without the system? the bumper is jarred so the rod wont fit in there very well.

Also on a related note, i do have all the plastics (I think) to reinstall the system does anyone know off hand how to do this?

one last thing, the spare tire removal kit, do they sell these online? I think mine is only partial or incomplete, can I buy a new complete set or find out what the contents of the kit is so that I can compare mine to it?

Thanks in advance for the wonderful help,
    -DRW

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If your truck is an 04 like it says below your avatar then I don't think the plastic tube is really needed. It's just a guide to hep the rod get into the point needed to crank down the tire.

That being said, if the bumper is bent so much you can't get the rod through it, perhaps removing the bumper will allow you to access the spare?

As for the spare tire removal rod/tool, it should have 3 main rods plus the "handle" which should also be your lug wrench. Does your kit have less than 4 pieces?

3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

dont buy the tool set, it is ridiculously expensive... i work at discount tire so thats how i got mine, but we use one piece tools for all spares, and it runs around $20.00, MAYBE you could walk in there and ask if they could order you one??? its a one piece design far superior to the overpriced 4 piece setups the stealership offers... it honestly makes everything way easier, and you just store it in your toolbox longways..... give that a shot see if your local discount tire would do that for you....

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if the bumper is restricting the rod get a big hammer and make the bumper so it will fit . then with the tool slide in to the square drive head and that should be it.

these bumpers bend easy. the steel re-enforcer piece if messes up could make this tough..may then have to drop the rear bumper assy.