1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spare Tire Removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gregg, Jul 15, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. gregg

gregg New Member

Can't get my spare tire to drop down. My truck's a 2004 Sierra HD2500. The cable will lower all the way to the ground:money: but the tire only drops about 3". I've tried cranking it back up until it clicks a couple of times to no avail. I lower it and it sticks about 3" down. Part of the shaft that slides on the wire is stick in the housing. Dealer says to reef on it and it will come down..wrong- pulling down, using 2X4 as a lever wouldn't budge it. It's a good thing its not an emergency. I just want to clean the spare and undercoat under the bed. Whats the secret guys.
    Thanks Gregg.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i kicked mine off lol seriously :)
  3. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

My '07 classic has instructions in the owners manual for this problem( get the jack under it,etc.,etc.) Its a pain in the a**. If you can get under the truck and get your fingers up insde the latch just push the tabs together and it will free it up.
  4. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

How about reeling the wire up a bit, but leave a few inches of slack, then slowly back up over curb, then drive forward over the curb to get a good "bounce"!
  5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had to beat mine off. My spare tires was a table top with all the dirty and mud in it from driving on the gravel road and from mudding.
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

what your going to have to do is let it down as far as it goes and let some extra cable out then reach up while supporting the spare and pinch the clips and the top of the u shaped holder and it should come down
  7. gregg

gregg New Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I finally got it down. I supported the tire with 2 jacks , lowered the cable 8" , pulled the rubber boot down, stuck a long screwdriver up into the hole the cable comes thru so I could compress the stupid spring (?) loaded rod assembly and the tire holder and stupid rod/tube thingy fell down. Then I lowered tire down off the jacks.
    Cleaned and lubed the thingy but the latch assembly was still sticky. Cut the damn latch hook off with my dremel. I don't have the secondary safety latch now but the tire lowers nicely as it should. Figure I'll get a bicycle cable lock and jury rig the spare tire to the frame as a secondary safety system. Has anybody done the same thing? Gregg:great:
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

glad you got it down should be fine with out the safety latch