1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spare Tire Removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by adampaul1964, Mar 13, 2011.

1. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't know if this has been covered before, but if you haven't done so already I recommend checking your spare to make sure it will release when you need it. I say this because mine wouldn't drop. I even went so far as to take it to the dealer and they said it's pretty common for the secondary lock to seize up and the only thing to do is cut it off and get a new mechanism. I had my bed off today so I was able to access the lock and beat on it to release the tire (This can't be accessed from underneath), I just thought I'd mention this because if I'd had a flat I would've been stuck with the spare locked up under the truck and I'd hate to see this happen to someone else.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Good advice Adam. Also they should remember to check the pressure in the spare every time they check the other 4. I always forget mine & when I remember it a year later, it is down to 15-20psi which pretty much makes it worthless when you need it.
  3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

WD40 and grease !!!!!! all the time just like you grease your fittings...OH , you don't ??? lol BETER START !!

Very good advice !
  4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for the advice Adam!
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Once a year I drop mine and lube everything.