1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spare Tire

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 04SilverChevy, Jul 5, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 04SilverChevy

04SilverChevy New Member 100 Posts

Ok. I removed my spare to install my exhaust. I wasn't gonna put it back on but i'm sick of throw it in and outta the bed. So tonight i tired putting it back on. The retainer that holds the tire up won't come back down. The cable does but the retainer won't.

I took a quick look at the owners manual and it say something about not being able to store a spare until it's replaced??? WTF? Do i have to replace the hoist before i can put the spare back up there?

Or am i just missing something?
  2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member 100 Posts

so the cable moves but the actual u shaped thingy won't come down?
  3. 04SilverChevy

Yes sir.Come down about an inch and that's it. I even tried putting some weight on it.
  4. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member 100 Posts

sounds like its just counter wrapped and jammed.... you might have to remove the whole assembly to get it going again, clean and lube it then re wrap it.
  5. hunky

hunky New Member 100 Posts

Owners manual will tell you how to get it down( use the jack etc. etc.) ,a real pain in the a**. Just get under the truck and you can stick your fingers up inside and push the release tabs together. Its made this way to prevent tire from releasing by accedent????, thats what the dealer told me.
  6. 04SilverChevy

Ok ill have to give it another try tomorrow. Thanks guys. I had hoping that i didn't have to replace the damn thing.
  7. 04SilverChevy

Got it. There was a release on the cylinder part of the retainer that you had to push into to release it.

Got another quick question... the exhaust is about a pinky(finger) width away from the exhaust.. ya'll don't think it'll get hot enough to mess the tire up do ya?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  8. hunky

hunky New Member 100 Posts

That is why I stayed away from the duals. Too close IMO. May want to try a size smaller spare.
  9. 04SilverChevy

Screw it. I really don't plan on using it anyways.. just need it outta the way. I have AAA and road hazard on my new tires lol.
  10. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

OK this answers one of my previous posts on your earlier thread. The exhaust still looks good though!