Spare wheel protection???

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SurrealOne, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm thinking about putting a matching, full-size spare wheel/tire under the truck. I've measured and one will fit. However, I want to protect the wheel and can't seem to locate anything purpose built for this. Any thoughts on protecting the wheel from rock chips, mud, and brush scrapes?

Surreal

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I once used a tire cover on a spare under the back of a truck i had 5 matching custom wheels on, turned out to be a bad idea since all the mud, dust, water, and debris got trapped in the cover and made it worse.
    I dont think I've ever seen a product to protect tires under the bed.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea, I have no intent to use a cover like that. Maybe vinyl wrap is an option. I don't know how protective something like that would be, though. Maybe @AMac has an idea, as she's done a number of vinyl wrapped pieces.

4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think to avoid the problem tim mentioned, you'd have to have a cover that could cover the entire wheel and the only opening would be where the cable runs through. That seems like it would be the only way to keep the dirt out, but I don't know where you'd find something like that

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

seems like you could do a bunch of clear coats on the rim, the tire wouldnt be protected, but the rim would look kind of weird. dont have any other ideas unfortunitly.

Al

6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Would a cheap after market hubcap snap on to your rim. Maybe cut a round disc out of some plastic of some kind and held in place by some means.

7. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Seems like a custom job. I have lots of wierd ideas I think would work but none of the seems cheap or easy. But some kind of hinged enclosue with holes in it for the wheels support cable. I can see it in my head but not sure the most reasonable way to build. Good luck with your search. I know Surreal will find something.

8. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I know a friend ended up having a custom mount fabricated in the bed for the wheel. idk if thats something you would want to look into or not.

9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I actually envisioned the same kind of thing, but I also wasn't sure what the best way to build it would be.

10. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Like PMF, that was my first thought. Some type of skid plate with a piano type hinge that you can just lock into place with a hitch lock to keep it from being stolen.