1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

SpareTire Removal Problem....

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Hwy St*r, Nov 2, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Hwy St*r

Hwy St*r Member

OK so the tube like thingy from the rear bumper to the lowering mechanism that I believe is to guide the key/rod seems to have become detached from said mechanism therefore the key/rod s not lining up properly to turn whatever it is supposed to turn preventing the spare tire from being lowered. Any suggestions would be helpful. Just glad I didn't find this out somewhere on the road after getting a flat in the middle of the night in the rain....

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Grab some liquid wrench or pb blaster and soak the mechanism as much as you can from under the truck. Assuming you're doing this on the 2005 in your signature if you've never lowered it before its probably rusted and seized up. You might have to do this for a couple of days, otherwise you'll end up cutting the cable or bracket that hold it up to get it off..

3. Johnny Hoss

Johnny Hoss New Member

I learned the hard way to lower the spare every six months whether I needed to or not. and hose it with Fluid-Film, or PB blaster, or even WD-40.

needed my spare once and everything was rusted fast. not fun. had to snip the cable with bolt cutters to get the tire off (thank God I had them with me), then replace the whole mechanism afterward.

4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I found out the hard way that the spare tire mechanism is total crap, it didn't when I needed it to. It's a common issue on the 99-06 trucks for the mechanism to fail.