Spark Plug Questions / Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MWright936, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

I just rolled 70K miles a few days ago. My first question, do I need to worry about changing plugs yet?

If it would be a good idea. What plugs do yall recommend? I've done some looking around, and these three have caught my eye:
    1. AC Delco Iridium ($7 at O'Reillys)
    2. E3 ($6 at Stylintrucks.com)
    3. Bosch Iridium ($8 at AutoZone)
    What do yall think about those?

Also, I would replace the wires when I changed the plugs. From what I have read around here, it sounds like Taylor wires are a good way to go. I found a set of red 8mm Taylor wires for $60 at Stylintrucks.com. Is that a good deal? Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. FireRed

FireRed New Member

Some will laugh but the plugs in my 97 Sub were not changed until 125,000, when I pulled them I almost put them right back in they were clean and showing no burn to the prong or electrode. I still have them on the shelf and drag them out to show people.
  3. zippy

zippy New Member

How do they look: Correct gap? Uniform color? Fouling? Deposits? Damage?
    The only reason I got new plugs was because I put in a new crate engine. Before, I'd changed the plugs once in 188K miles and they were still okay.

Your plugs can tell a lot...
    [​IMG]
  4. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

I haven't pulled on to look at it. I was mainly thinking about doing it because I bought the truck used and I want to make sure everything is maintained properly since I don't know exactly what the previous owner had done.

If I do pull one to check it out, do I need to put some fresh dielectric grease on it before I put it back in?
  5. zach45

zach45 New Member

yea just take a look at them. then make your choice
  6. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

Definitely pull them out. I just bought my Avalanche and had them replaced that same week. It is always better to know what is in your engine.
  7. GaryL

GaryL New Member

If I'm not mistaken, the first scheduled change of the spark plugs is 100,000 miles. If it is running good and they look good, I would not change them, but that's just me.
  8. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

9. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

Yeah, I've seen these advertised. I can't see spending $200 on spark plugs!
  10. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

Anyone have any experience or advice on the three plugs I listed in the first post??
  11. zippy

zippy New Member

When you can run plugs for 100,000 miles, you don't change them enough to form an opinion. Also, if you're like most of us, you'll do the plug wires and other ignition items at the same time you do the plugs. So, if you get an improvement, you don't really know what individual component is responsible, or if it's the entire package.

With my engine swap, I selected ACDelco Rapidfire platinum plugs; but, I also went with a hotter coil, lower resistance plug wires (recommended because of the increased gap) and a billet distributor. It runs great, but I can't say which element, if any, is the more important. I've less than 10K miles on the new crate motor, so I haven't pulled the plugs for a look-see -- if it runs great, I don't tend to don't mess with it.
  12. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

I have the Bosch iridium in but I had these put in right when I bought the truck so i couldn't tell you if there was a differnce. Plus I didn't ask the mechanic what was in there to begin with. He recommended the Bosch iridium and he is a good friend of my wife so I believe and hope he wouldn't BS me. He said they are the best bang for the buck.
  13. EKperformance

EKperformance New Member

i like the delco ones you listed, i use them in alot of vehicles as well as my own, as far as grease goes, its actualy bad to use it, didnt believe it till we tested it in college. those bocsh plugs with the 2or 4 grounds are worthless, we tested those too, just sparks to the closest ground
  14. MWright936

MWright936 New Member

Thanks for the info! So, when installing new plugs, would I just put them in dry or is there something I should use in place of the dielectric grease?
  15. Boltazar

Boltazar New Member

16. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member

i have heard great things about the E3 but i have been using bosch platinum 4's in my cars and they have worked great