Spark Plug Questions / Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MWright936, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just rolled 70K miles a few days ago. My first question, do I need to worry about changing plugs yet?

If it would be a good idea. What plugs do yall recommend? I've done some looking around, and these three have caught my eye:
    1. AC Delco Iridium ($7 at O'Reillys)
    2. E3 ($6 at Stylintrucks.com)
    3. Bosch Iridium ($8 at AutoZone)
    What do yall think about those?

Also, I would replace the wires when I changed the plugs. From what I have read around here, it sounds like Taylor wires are a good way to go. I found a set of red 8mm Taylor wires for $60 at Stylintrucks.com. Is that a good deal? Thanks in advance for the help!
  2. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

Some will laugh but the plugs in my 97 Sub were not changed until 125,000, when I pulled them I almost put them right back in they were clean and showing no burn to the prong or electrode. I still have them on the shelf and drag them out to show people.
  3. zippy

zippy New Member 100 Posts

How do they look: Correct gap? Uniform color? Fouling? Deposits? Damage?
    The only reason I got new plugs was because I put in a new crate engine. Before, I'd changed the plugs once in 188K miles and they were still okay.

Your plugs can tell a lot...
    [​IMG]
  4. MWright936

I haven't pulled on to look at it. I was mainly thinking about doing it because I bought the truck used and I want to make sure everything is maintained properly since I don't know exactly what the previous owner had done.

If I do pull one to check it out, do I need to put some fresh dielectric grease on it before I put it back in?
  5. zach45

zach45 New Member 100 Posts

yea just take a look at them. then make your choice
  6. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Definitely pull them out. I just bought my Avalanche and had them replaced that same week. It is always better to know what is in your engine.
  7. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the first scheduled change of the spark plugs is 100,000 miles. If it is running good and they look good, I would not change them, but that's just me.
  8. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

9. MWright936

Yeah, I've seen these advertised. I can't see spending $200 on spark plugs!
  10. MWright936

Anyone have any experience or advice on the three plugs I listed in the first post??