1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spark plug questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Z-71, May 15, 2010.

1. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I am getting ready to change my spark plugs and in my owners manual it calls for ACDelco 41-974 or NGK PZTR5A15.I decided to go with the NGK plugs and had my friend bring some home from work...He brought NGK tr55...Does anyone know if they just changed the part # for them or if they are the wrong ones?Has anyone used these plugs before?Also they need to be gapped at .40 correct?Does anyone know what the torque specs are for plugs on a 03 silverado 5.3?Thanks
  2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

NGK (7862) PZTR5A-15 Laser Platinum Spark Plug
    NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plug is manufactured to provide high ignitability. It is constructed from durable material. It features platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode provides long life and the trivalent metal plating provides superior anti-corrosion, anti-seizing properties. This Spark plug surface ensures slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

NGK (3951) TR55 V-Power
    NGK V-Power Spark Plug is designed to improve ignitability even in lean burn conditions and the performance of the vehicle. It is constructed from durable material that is corrosion and abrasion resistant. This Spark plug is highly durable against electrical and chemical wear. It features increased fuel economy and lower emissions. This Spark plug lowers ignition system voltage requirements and ensures longevity.

The second is a less expensive plug and does not look to be platinum.

If you want some inexpensive platinum plugs that work well check out
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...nso_11010044-P_960_R|GRPTUNEAMS_1154311765___
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I like AC Delco plugs myself. Yes, gaps should be .040". Best way to tighten them is an eighth to quarter turn past finger tight. Don't forget a little copper Never Seize on the threads.

Whatever you do, don't install Bosch +4
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Im a ac delco fan myself, never had any plug last as long.
    I gap mine at 30-35 that way as the the plug burns The gap gets
    bigger. No need to regap later..Think about it as the electrode burns
    down your gap gets bigger.
  5. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Okay thanks guys!I guess I will send these plugs back and get either the correct Delco or NGK plugs so they are at least platinum.