1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spark Plug Removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bluebrick, May 14, 2008.

1. bluebrick

bluebrick New Member

My 1999 Silverado has a metal sleeve around the boots going to the spark plugs. Do I have to remove the metal sleeve or do the boots just twist out by hand?? I am trying to change my plugs and save a couple of $$$ Thanks.
  2. Fugly

Fugly New Member

My 2001 Suburban has the same metal sleeves. The sleeves pulled off with the wires on mine. I know that the next time I change my plugs I will buy the spark plug wire boot pliers. I think it would have made the job much easier. The wires can be difficult to grasp because of the sleeve. I ended up using a big pair of pliers but I was replacing the wires and didn't care if I damaged the old ones.
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

i swapped out the wires on mine since the "Heat shields" were causing my miss fire. get some die-electric grease on the wire boots and this will help the next time you remove the boots for plug service.....mike