Spark Plug Wire Install

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MWright936, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I have what is probably a stupid question. I just ordered myself some new plugs and wires (both AC Delco). In the box with the wires is a small tube of, what I assume is grease. Is this dielectric grease? I've read where that's good to use to keep the boot from seizing to the plug. Do I only use it on the end that attaches to the plug, or do I use it on both ends?

On a side note, I got my set of wires from RockAuto.com. I'm not trying to promo their site, but they were having a wholesaler closeout on the plug wire set for my truck and I got a full set of AC Delco plug wires for just under $30!! I'm not sure if they're doing it for other year models or not, but if you're in need of plug wires, might be worth a look!

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yes it's dielectric grease. You can put on both end of the plug wires. Doesn't take much, I use a small screw driver to put inside the wire boot and smear inside with the screwdriver. I found that when I install the plug wire onto the spark plug I twist the wire boot a little and it slipes on easier.

3. MWright936

Thanks for the info! I'll be changing them out today.

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I also agree. i use a cotton swab (Qtip) to apply it to both ends. I have used plug sets that have a small dab of some white grease or lube of some kind but have found that after six months or longer it behaves more like glue than anything else. The silicone will absolutely make your life easier.

5. MWright936

Well, I got them all changed out with no problems. It doesn't seem to run any different, so the plugs that were there were probably still working fine, but they were definitely worn and a little burt looking so it definitely didn't hurt to change them all out. Also cleaning my K&N while I was in there getting dirty. It DEFINITELY needed it! It has been a while since I cleaned it. My truck will appreciate being able to breathe a little better :)

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Have ya done a fuel filter? and a seafoam treatment?? Oh and pull the throttle body and clean that out manually.. And possibly clean the MAF with MAF cleaner, it doesnt hurt with a K&N that is oiled..

7. MWright936

My truck has the in-tank fuel filter, so that wouldn't be an easy or cheap change. I did a full seafoam treatment back in March, but I think I'll be putting a can in the gas tank today. I'm getting a slight hesitation at start-up when my engine is cold. I have a brand new battery, and it was doing it before I swapped plugs and wires. It runs great once started, but that slight hesitation bothers me. Hopefully the seafoam and a fresh tank of gas will fix it...fingers crossed.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what murdog94 said about cleaning the MAF (CRC makes a good MAF cleaner, silver can) and removing and cleaning the throttlebody with a throttlebody cleaner and a SOFT old toothbrush.