GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Spark plug wire question...

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by estrom, Sep 27, 2013.

1. estrom

estrom New Member

I've got a '96 suburban with the 5.7 and I'm going to give it a tune up, but came across a question about plug wires. Does anyone know the difference between AC Delco part #'s 9718Q and 718Q (other than one is missing the '9'!). Also, Summit has their own brand that is less expensive. Being sold by Summit, I would have to think it's a quality product. Any reason not to go that route over AC Delco? Thanks!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I would just go with the delco wires. Gm trucks have a magical thing that they run best using factory parts. Also think about how long the factory ones lasted likely the new ones will last the same amount of time.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

From what I found online the 9718Q is the pro set the 718Q is the do it yourself set. Other than that I can not find anything different on the web. The 9718Q lists a 500 MAG core while the 718Q lists a spiral core. Maybe [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION] can help with this one.
  4. estrom

estrom New Member

Conlan, that's my general thinking with Delco, but thought I would ask about the Summit wires.

Pikey, I can't find much explanation either. Do the two differences you stated make either one better than the other? The 9718 is almost twice the cost, so I'm trying to figure out if it's twice as good!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I emailed ac delco direct and asked them the difference. They list both on their site. I will let you guys know what they say if/when they respond.

- - - Updated - - -

I did find one site that listed the more expensive wire set at 8mm and the less expensive set at 7mm. BUT, that was not consistent between sites. Most listed both at 7mm.
  6. estrom

estrom New Member

Thanks Pikey. I saw other sites listing both at 8mm, hence my questions! Couldn't find anything concrete or consistent. I look forward to hearing what delco says.
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Mike....like you I've found the same Infor. you've posted above,.....On one Site I'm seeing the # 718Q are Shown as a Direct Replacement??....and like you've mentioned, their more Expensive, than the 9718Q...
    [TABLE="width: 450"]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

My personal understanding is the 9718q is an upgraded version of the oem wires, better end connections and boots, larger 8mm wire.
    As far as the difference btwn OEM and Summit is most newer vehicles (post computer controlled ignitions) of any make run better with OEM, if your gonna go Summit youll need to order one of their better and more expensive sets to get the same performance, which in the end means you spend the same or more than OEM.
    Keep in mind this logic is the same with plugs and other ignition parts.
  9. estrom

estrom New Member

Just a correction from my earlier post, it's the 718 that is more expensive than the 9718.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked to an independent AC Delco dealer and his comments were 1) the 718 is the direct OEM replacement while the 9718 was listed as a broader replacement for other GM models with the same engine, and 2) the 9718 is a higher quality wire that can handle more heat load, etc... (even though the 9718 is the less expensive of the two)

So my question to him was, "You're telling me I can get a better wire for about 1/2 the cost?" and he kind of chuckled and said "yep".

Pikey, I'm wondering if this jives with what you've heard from Delco?
  10. stchman

stchman New Member

I also recommend using the AC Delco wires. IMO most aftermarket wires are not as good as the OEM ones.