spark plug wires sequence

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Chevy1997, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Chevy1997

Chevy1997 Member

Hi every body, have somebody a map of the sequence of the spark plug wires inside my Chevy Silverado 1997 (like gmc sierra 1997) v8 small block engine
    Recently i received a accel set of spark plugs and wires set.

I hope can you help me, because i installed last night and i feel a little tilt when i drive arround 80 kmh (50 mph)

Thank you

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This is the wrong forum to put this question. However, I'm sure one of our friendly mods will kindly move it. As for your question, usually the firing sequence is stamped into the intake manifold. If you can ascertain where your first plug is, it should be easy to route them appropriatley. And, in the future, just do one at a time ;)

3. Chevy1997

Chevy1997 Member

wrong forum?

I dont understand, why this forum its wrong to ask that kind of asks?

And thank you for your answer, but i know the firing sequence in the distribuitor cap, but only i´m looking for the sequence of the sparks into engine, otherwise i want to know which´s the first that i must to count, the near of the front of the engine or the near to the cabin? you know what i mean?

sorry for my english, i´m chilean guy from atacama desert...
    Thank you.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

this is the member introductions forum of the board. It should have been in Powertrain Issues. Now, as I said, the firing order of the motor is cast into your intake manifold. The number one cylinder starts at the front driver side piston(front being furthest away from the cabin). It then alternates sides until it hits the rear. So, all driver side pistons are odd numbers, and all passenger side pistons are even numbers.. Hope this helps

5. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Does this help a little bit...

[​IMG]

I will move to powertrain issues...thread

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  6. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Never ever, ever, and I mean ever remove all the plug wires at once when replacing them.

Now on an engine rebuild you have to but when just changing the plug wires only change one wire at a time. That way you never have to worry about this problem.

PS

Thanks Jamie, I am on here so rarely and am so computer illiterate I don’t think could do the thread move.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  7. Cableguy

Hey Steve is it still possible in this day and age to have cross-fire between wire 5/7 or is that and old school problem? I was just thinking out loud. If the wires we're damaged or cheapies they used to cause cross-fire if they were not seperated properly?

8. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Oh ya it is still possible, but then there are the the systems that fire on opposite cylinders on the intake and exhaust stoke. In that type it would be a defective coil pack.

Coil pack systems do that, but not distributor fired systems.

Any set of wires no matter how good can have a defective wire, insulation that can cause a crossfire.

It is possible that is the problem here and not wires in the wrong firing order. If they were in the wrong firing order it would misfire at all speeds.

9. Chevy1997

Chevy1997 Member

thank you every body

thank for your help.
    The map help me the las week to solve my wire problems.
    thank you cable guy for the figure.

i`m interesting to know then what you mean with crossfire with 5 and 7 wire.

10. Cableguy

Cylinder wire 5 and 7 used to have to be seperated because they were so close in firing sequence and side by side all the way to plug. So 5 when it fired would jump across to 7, firing it to pre-maturely.