Spark Plug Wires

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well, I need to do something about my spark plug wires. The wires from AutoZone (Bosch wires) that were specifically for my truck are WAY too fricking long (that's how I destroyed my last transmission.... don't ask, just refer to my transmission threads:grrrrrr:). The retainers that also hold the wires up are not holding or broken. So, I have 2 problems... One, where can I get wires that will fit my 91 Chevy Suburban with the 350 small block that aren't obscenely longer than neccesary, preferably local because I don't care to buy anything but computer parts over the net or phone. Also, where can I buy the clips that hold the spark plug wires up or how can I make some that will work as well to retain the wires... Thanks as always guys!

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i have taylor and they fit great on my small block. and zip ties??

3. Crawdaddy

Today when I went to the local Chevy dealership to pick up the seal for the transmission, I asked about the factory retaining clips that hold the spark plugs up. It's going to cost me about 15-20 bucks for the set of 4 clips. Hopefully that'll fix it. But I still need to find me a good set of wires. I'll check out the Taylors...

4. Crawdaddy

I found these plug wires on Summit Racing. They're Taylors... : http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908006 4294840140 4294889107 115&autoview=sku I also called up the dealer, and the set of wires for my truck would be about 68 bucks. In the end I'm looking for the best performing wires in the "budget" market, but it seems like even 48 bucks for the Taylors is a little steep. But, it looks like for a premium set of wires, you have to pay... Can anyone confirm the fit and quality of the Taylors? Also, anyone know off hand what size the stock wires are, I'm guessing/hoping at least 8mm, but who knows...

5. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I used to drag race with Taylor 8.8's they were the bomb :great: Expensive, but none the less the bomb.

Speed shops usually carry all the retainers and wires.

6. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

most sets are universal the best thing is to get cut to fits and fix them to your correct size....mike

7. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea ive never had a problem with my taylors either and they work great. i definitely noticed a difference when i got my MSD coil and the taylors. i think i paid like 60 for the set. they look great and work great too. i think they are 8.5mm

8. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

AC Delco all the way dude, and the clips get at the dealer, or else, scrapyard, or else, zip ties.

9. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

I can hear guys chuckle but my original GM wires lasted to 112,000 as did the plugs, so I figured stay with proven reliability. Now that was on mt Sub but on my stroker motor in my boat I went the big $$$ way, they lasted three seasons 114 hours to be exact. Has me thinking the $$$ ones may not be worth the extra bucks.