Spark Plug ??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Blakjax98, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Blakjax98

Blakjax98 Member

Hello guys its time for me to change my spark plugs. Do you recommend a particular brand
    or model which will give me any performance gains?? thanks for your help

2001 Silverado Z71 5.3

2. ChevyTech

ChevyTech Rockstar

Well as far as a good plug that does well in those trucks goes I always used a high quality BOSCH Platinum or BOSCH Platinum 2 that is what I recommend for over all plug upgrade . My friend uses Pulstar in his and loves them but he also improved his ignition system for performance. NGK also makes a performance plug but they didn't really do much in the way of performance. You do not have to build your ignition system to use the Pulstars they say they are a drop in plug and claim to increase horsepower if you don't mind the extra cost then I would give them a try, I asked my friend and he said he used them before he changed his ignition and was very happy with way his truck ran. Hope this helps a little good luck.

3. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have not modified the truck, I would stick with AC Delcos, they're what the truck came with.

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Bosch platinum +4 or E3

5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If the truck is stock OEM plugs will perform exceptionally, compariative plugs will also work, for stock no one will perform better than the other, all perform well, the choice is yours...

Jeff

7. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I prefer the Bosh or NGK.
    Besides they make most all the plugs for all the manufacturers anyways.:great:
    Make sure the gap is right before you put them in. One that may have been dropped in the box can have a bad effect on performance!

8. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

Oh yeah, Also don't forget to put a bit of Anti-Seize compound on the threads!! This one can save a world of problems later on down the road!! Doesn't take much, a little goes a long way!!

9. CoDaChrome

CoDaChrome Rockstar 100 Posts

I would recommended Autolite plugs I put them in my truck and they gave me a little bit of a power boost. as to bosh plug I would say they are junk I have seen them blow the core out of the housing.

when you are running down the highway and a plug comes apart it sounds like the motor coming apart and it will spark off anything it can until the engine is shut off.

10. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I swear that thats the reason I don't like Autolites!:gasp:
    I blew the core out of one in my race car!
    I guess all manufacturers have som defective ones!