1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spark Plug?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Chevyman224, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Chevyman224

Chevyman224 Rockstar 100 Posts

How do you know when it is time to change your spark plugs. I have 89,000 miles on my truck and never have changed them. Is it time? or should they be fine?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

G.M. said they are good for 100k.For me I changed them at 70k,along with new Wires.It come down to how your truck is running,good,bad.I would said pull a couple of them and see how they Look.
  3. Chevyman224

It seems a lil sluggish at times. But idk. It might be because its such a big engine and a heavy truck.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Went was the last time you had the Throttle Body and injector's clean? That may be why your Truck is Sluggish.Thats just a Guess.
  5. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 Rockstar 100 Posts

Idk about the plugs bug if your gonna get wires I suggest the MSD wires

Im gonna change my plugs and wires soon. I plan on going with Bosch +4 Platiums and MSD wires... it seems like a very popular pairing
  6. Chevyman224

Um they were never cleaned that i know of.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am getting ready to change my spark plugs and wires on my S-10, and I just hit 50,000 miles on it. It is running like crap, so I figure it's time for a tune up. In the past when I have had injector problems on newer vehicles, it will get to a point where it will seem like you lose about 50-75 hp and it would almost cut out at an idle. Hopefully a tune up cures your problems, because once you get into the fuel system your talking some good money there. :neutral:
  8. TroyT

TroyT Member

i just put in some Bosch Platinum+2 plugs , and some standard autolite wires from a local advance auto store, the guy actually called around and compared prices to get me the best deal. i swear i'm probably getting twice the mileage now. i changed them at 95,000 i'm sure previous owner never changed em, they were burnt to a crisp. (05' 2500hd 6.0. silverado)
    http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/SparkPlugs/Platinum2.htm

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  9. BAMES

BAMES New Member

I've used those Bosch Platinum +2 plugs before, they worked well on my truck. It's probably not a bad idea with the E10.
  10. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Throw some SeaFoam through your engine and it will clean out all the carbon buildup. Cleaning the MAF and throttle body is a good idea too. Change your oil, put in a new fuel filter then throw in some new plugs. You should be very happy with the newfound pep! :rules: