Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Spark plugs

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by doss, Jul 26, 2010.

1. doss

doss New Member

How often do u need 2 change the Spark Plugs....

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What year, type, engine and truck???

3. doss

doss New Member

2005,Chevy,Small V8,1500

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

G.M. said they are good for 100,000 miles.....but you can put in new ones before.......I changed my out at 80,000 miles.....

The Vortec engines run Better....with A/C Delco plugs......Of the A/C Delco plugs,you would want to get the A/C Delco Iridium Spark Plugs,also.....take a look at the plugs wires....and there you could go with A/C Delco or Aftermarket wires.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. silveradotrailblazer

I also have a '05 with 5.3. I changed mine at 80,000 miles. They looked good and most likely would have gone 100,000 miles,but I had them out so I changed them and saved the old ones for a emergency. As 99'Heartbeat said go with A/C Delco Iridiums. You can get them at AutoZone stores.

6. doss

doss New Member

ok thanks...

7. silveradotrailblazer

Also, I let my truck sit overnight to let the aluminum heads get cool, to help keep from striping the heads. Use anti-seize on the new plugs and torque to speck.

8. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

whats the gap on the spark plugs for a 2003 silverado 4.8 v8
    cuz where it shows that info on my truck got a blurry so i dont know

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For your 4.8 liter....The Gap for the.....A/C Delco Iridium Spark plugs is....0.40......they are already Gaped right out of the Box,from the factory.

10. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

How much does autozone want for the AC Delco plugs? I found them on Summit Racing for $6.95 a piece. They recommend Loctite Copper Anti-Seize Stick and a Taylor Spark Plug Boot Removal Tool, is the boot removal tool really needed? And is there a special tool to make sure you tighten them to spec?