1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by RedBurb, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RedBurb

RedBurb New Member

Howdy gang!

I just inherited a 2001 Suburban (5.3 vortec) and I am wondering which spark plugs some of you with vast experience would recommend,

I had someone warn me away from Bosch Platinum 4's. They said domestics don't fire as hot as imports and that I should stick to AC Delco. I am obviously not a techy . . . . but are there plugs out there that could improve the performance of the engine . . even a little bit?

Thanks
  2. doubt_me_now

doubt_me_now Member

i use the platinum 4's and havnt had a problem with them yet and will continue to use them but thats just my opinion on them as far as increasing the performance im not 100% sure if they do but to me it felt like it helped my throttle response
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  3. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

Ive had in the past Bosch platinum plus 4 and got better gas miles and never had problems. had them in several of my cars and trucks before but was in older vehicles earliest was when i had my 2002 Chevy avalanche 5.3 but haven't tried it out in my 05 yet. so dont know how it will do in it yet.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  4. RedBurb

RedBurb New Member

Thanks for response guys.

I'm still hoping someone that runs a newer 5.3 liter can weigh in on this.
  5. RedBurb

RedBurb New Member

Actually Black Jack you said that you ran the platinum 4's in a 2002 5.3.

The way I read your post is that you did get a little better performance, even better fuel economy, from the Bosch's. Right?
  6. jpap2369

jpap2369 New Member

Platinum 4's

There is absolutely nothing wrong with platinum plugs, especially with Bosch. The only thing i have to say is that basic electronics states that when a voltage is sent through a wire, and has more than one option, it will go with the option which provides the least resistance. So in turn, when you have a Bosch Platinum 4, the spark has four options. The spark will choose the one that is closest to the diode (least resistance). Even though these plugs are pre-gapped, all of the prongs are not exactly the same distance from the diode, so the spark only uses one instead of four of the prongs. Basicaly what I am trying to say is why spend the extra money of a platinum 4 when you can buy the regular Bosch Platinum Plus plugs for a lot less. With the single platinums you get the same exact performance as you would with a four, just at a lot less cost. These plugs have treated me very well through out my automotive years and also saved me some money. Under my opinion the bosch platiums are pretty much the best plug out there. My whole point of this was just to try to save you guys a little money and help you look for future costly fads.
  7. D13TRY1N6

D13TRY1N6 New Member

Ive had Bosch Platinum 4's and they worked and lasted great.however E3 makes a better spark plug, it has 3 side electrodes instead of one.i noticed that my truck started instantly, no delay,just the sweet explosion of V8 Sound..gas mileage improved a little and they last about the same.NGK makes good spark plugs too but those are more for import cars..still work great.ive heard Champion were reliable as well.
  8. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Just an FYI :)

Ignition System - New Spark Plugs/Gapping

Bulletin No.: 03-06-04-060A

Date: February 12, 2007

INFORMATION
    Subject:
    Information on New Spark Plugs and Gapping

Models:
    2004 Buick Rainier
    2002-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V
    1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette
    1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
    1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
    2000-2004 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2003-2004 Chevrolet Express, TrailBlazer
    1999-2004 GMC Sierra
    2000-2004 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
    2001-2004 GMC Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali
    2002-2004 GMC Sierra Denali
    2003-2004 GMC Envoy XL
    1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird
    2004 Pontiac GTO
    2003-2004 HUMMER H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V-8 Engine (VINs V, P, T, Z, G, S, N, U - RPOs LR4, LM4, LM7, L59, LS1, L56, LQ9, LQ4)
    Attention: Please disregard the Set Gap Per Vehicle Specification statement on the side of an ACDelco(R) Iridium Spark Plug Box. The statement will be removed from the boxes in the future.

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to bring attention to the Set Gap Per Vehicle Specification on the ACDelco(R) Iridium Spark Plug Boxes. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-060 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

A new spark plug has been released for use in the above vehicles. The new spark plug has an Iridium tip instead of the current Platinum tip. Due to the different tip design, the gap of the spark plug has also changed.

The new spark plug, P/N 12571164 with AC Delco P/N 41-985, is gapped to 1.01 mm (0.040 in) when the spark plug is made.

The spark plug gap is set during manufacturing and should not be changed or damage to the spark plug may result. Any new spark plug found to not be properly gapped should not be used.

Just Incase you guys didnt see this before :) oh and Also I use ACDelco Iridium Spark Plugs in my hoe along with the high performance 8.5mm wires to go along with it :fighting0040:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  9. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the information TahoeFever and the others.
  10. tank5150

tank5150 New Member

Ive been running the E3 spark plugs since they came out and I would like to say that they gave me better performence but who really knows but the are expensive!!