1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spark Plugs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by RedBurb, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RedBurb

RedBurb New Member

Howdy Gang!

I'm new to these parts and I have a spark plug question.

I have a 2001 5.3 engine and I want to replace the plugs. I was warned away from the Bosch Platinum 4 tip plugs. I was told that domestic vehicles didn't fire hot enough for that plug.

Anyway . . . .which higher performance plugs have some of you successfully used? Which would you recommend?

Thanks
  2. fschevy1988

fschevy1988 New Member

I was told not to use that type either. I changed out mine with autolite plugs, nothing fancy, and since they are cheap I do it once a year.
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Failed my smog check last week, so I'm due for plugs and filters. Not really into changing plugs, but hanging around here I feel obliged to change my own. Been a big fan of Autolite (not motorcraft) but am interested in trying a set of ND iridium plugs. Think I'll pick up a set today. Standby for an update..................

Changed the plugs last night. Went with Autolite Platinums, cuz $12.99 ea. for iridium plugs is too rich for me. Going back for a retest this morning. I'm crossing my fingers. btw, the old plugs really didn't look too bad except for cyl 1 & 3.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. FireRed

FireRed New Member

Not sure if this applies to any GM products, I had a Dodge Durango which I pulled the original plugs a 75,000. I put Bosch platnums in and noticed right off it ran different, not better a little off. I know the Dodge dealer well he told me to go back to stock plugs as the platnums messed with the computer. I have a 97 GMC 5.7 that I did the same swap on it runs just fine, I also have an 02 Chevy Sub that I am thinking of swapping over.

Phil
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

the set that was in mine was the dual split fires-the terminals were burned off the disti cap. i replace with a goos set of Bosh replacements and no issues yet......mike