Spark Plugs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by RedBurb, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RedBurb

RedBurb New Member

Howdy Gang!

I'm new to these parts and I have a spark plug question.

I have a 2001 5.3 engine and I want to replace the plugs. I was warned away from the Bosch Platinum 4 tip plugs. I was told that domestic vehicles didn't fire hot enough for that plug.

Anyway . . . .which higher performance plugs have some of you successfully used? Which would you recommend?

Thanks

2. fschevy1988

fschevy1988 New Member

I was told not to use that type either. I changed out mine with autolite plugs, nothing fancy, and since they are cheap I do it once a year.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Failed my smog check last week, so I'm due for plugs and filters. Not really into changing plugs, but hanging around here I feel obliged to change my own. Been a big fan of Autolite (not motorcraft) but am interested in trying a set of ND iridium plugs. Think I'll pick up a set today. Standby for an update..................

Changed the plugs last night. Went with Autolite Platinums, cuz $12.99 ea. for iridium plugs is too rich for me. Going back for a retest this morning. I'm crossing my fingers. btw, the old plugs really didn't look too bad except for cyl 1 & 3.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure if this applies to any GM products, I had a Dodge Durango which I pulled the original plugs a 75,000. I put Bosch platnums in and noticed right off it ran different, not better a little off. I know the Dodge dealer well he told me to go back to stock plugs as the platnums messed with the computer. I have a 97 GMC 5.7 that I did the same swap on it runs just fine, I also have an 02 Chevy Sub that I am thinking of swapping over.

Phil

5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

the set that was in mine was the dual split fires-the terminals were burned off the disti cap. i replace with a goos set of Bosh replacements and no issues yet......mike