1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio Speaker and amp install?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Curky, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have always don’t stuff like this to my other cars with no problem. Someone told me I cannot do this.
    Can I add a sub and amp to my stock radio?
    If not, Why not?
    What is the difference between this and other cars/trucks?
  2. dobey

dobey Member 100 Posts

It would help if you stated what year/model/stereo related options your truck has.

But in general that someone lied to you. You can certainly add speakers and amps to a new GM truck. I have a stack of them in my floor that I'm getting ready to install in my 09 Avalanche. And there are plenty of others on here who have installed systems in their new trucks.
  3. Curky

08 Silverado 1500 WT, stock CD radio w/Sirius
  4. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

i have a amp and subs connected to stock stereo only bad thing is the power i run for my amp is ran off my main power i brought in from the battery to the amp. have it on a switch with a fuse. reason why i did this is because i could not find a wire behind the stereo that was strong enough to power my amp on. ive heard of ppl splicing in to a wire that comes from the brakes but i figured ide just run it this way till i get my double din dvd . so far its worked great besided the few times i forget to turn the switch off and it kills my battery lol. good luck with the install!
  5. Curky

I have a stereo capacitor too..? [MENTION=53545]gabethesvg[/MENTION] I have never put a switch in before?
  6. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

curky, its simple just go down to shucks or auto zone or whatever you have and get a relay switch similar to what they use for fog lights . package should list which way the switch should be wired in , its really simple pretty sure its just a power and ground, that splices in to the power wire you will run to your amp or remote wire.if you want i can take some pics if need but its really simple
  7. 62930-03

62930-03 New Member

8. Curky

no need for pictures but thank you. I know it it easy. I just never done that before that all I was saying. If I have time this weekend, I will just do it. Thank you
  9. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

for sure man i know how much of a pain it was to figure out that damn remote wire lol. good luck with the install man let me know if i can be of anymore help.
  10. 62930-03

62930-03 New Member