1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

speaker help

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 2, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

hey guys,
    ive had a set of boston 6.5 components in my truck since my older brother gave it to me a while back, i wanna say theyre probably around 7 years old, but they sound amazing for their age i think. anyway i recently went from a 45W*4 (4 ohms) amp to a 110W*4 (4 ohms) amp (RMS) and noticed a change...
    With my weaker amp, ever since i had the truck, after playing real loud for about 2 minutes or so, it would seem like i lose a whole range of music, like most treble cuts out or something just drops out of range... if i turn the volume down, it comes back (basically if i let the speakers rest) now with this bigger amp if i turn it up real loud they do the same thing but in about 10 seconds...
    what does this mean? a coil heating up too hot? too much power? I, at one time, found specs for these speakers, but no longer can due to their age, but i remember when i found them about a year ago, i still saw sets going for about $200.00, i really wish i could find the specs on them but can never find them no matter how much i google about them.
    Just wondering what causes this sort of "audio cutout"? so to speak, at high levels of play.
    thanks
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How bizarre. I've never experienced that so you've got me stumped. Resistance-related, maybe? I'm curious what [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] or [MENTION=50750]zigger215[/MENTION] have to say on the subject...
  3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm back! After a very long absence lol. What's up surreal? I got your pm but September has come and gone...

Anyways, to the OP. it sounds like your speakers have simple just aged. Speakers do have a "shelf life" so to speak and it appears yours have reached the end of the line. The distortion your talking about is fairly common among older systems, 7 years is fairly old for a set of Boston components. The reason you are distorting faster with a bigger amp is simple that. It's pushing even MORE power to speakers who couldn't handle the original power. (I understand at one point they probably could have when they were newer).

Pop your door panels off and inspect the speakers for any corrosion (on the copper leads) or cracks in the cone or surround.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome back!
  5. reggiecab2000

ive inspected them before a couple times and they appear in near perfect cosmetic condition, no rust or corrosion, i was astonished for how old they are, but also at the same time i wouldnt think for these being a POSSIBLY "high end" speaker setup my older brother put in, that they would not be able to even handle 45X4 RMS(@ 14.4V of course), so as you say, AGE may just be a possible culprit here, if nothing else...
  6. zigger215

Age is a major culprit for sure. I wear out 600 dollar pairs of components in months from demoing lol, time under power determines the age of a component, it's natural that someone who listens to their music loud will wear out their components quicker.
  7. reggiecab2000

well, this is lower on my priority list for now, as surreal knows, from my other threads, just trying to gather from possible culprits, which it seems ive found LOL...
    but the next component set ive been aiming at is the alpine type-R 6.5 component set, have always heard good things, and their type-R line has always sounded great to me from the few setups i have heard in friends cars...
  8. awtposts

awtposts Member

Those speakers have built-in clips. When you overdrive the speaker, the unit has a trip that enacts a filter to cut that freq range to protect the speaker. Once the amplitute returns to normal after a minute or so of sustained input, then the clip drains (releases) and you get your full sound range back. The clip ranges are Low, Mid, Treble on 3-ways. Low to midline mid and midline mid to high for 2-ways.

My Technics home speakers have them. Boston's are high end stuff, I wouldn't doubt they have this considering the age you state. They don't do this today because companies don't care if you blow your speakers unfortunately.

I think your overdriving your speakers so you will either have to adjust or control the urge to crank too much or change to a higher rated speaker I think. They are nice speakers.

Send me the info on those speakers if you want. Guy across the street is a professional Audio and Alarm installer. I can see if he could obtain this info for you if you like. I'm thiking you got too much for those speakers.
  9. zigger215

Type-R speakers sound good to my ears as well. I wouldn't think you would be going wrong running type-Rs.

A 200 dollar pair of Boston acoustics speakers are not considered high end and most likely do not have a "clip". My competition QS (built a few months ago) do indeed have a similar style clipped coil. They are still around but you only see them in high end speakers for mobile electronics.
  10. reggiecab2000

wow, thats interesting to know!, ill try and pop my door panel off and get the name of the speaker when i get a chance