Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Speaker Question For New Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by medicmatt, Jun 24, 2012.

1. medicmatt

medicmatt Member 100 Posts

Ok, so I just purchased a Kenwood DNX6180 in-dash nav system, and my buddy was talking about that I might want to change the speakers too to get more out of it. I'd never really thought about it, but now he has me thinking. If I do that, I'm pretty much thinking I need to add an amp too. My problem is I'm not mechanically or electrically inclined, so I'm not good at figuring out these types of things.

So your thoughts, where would you start on the upgrade of the rest of the system? What types of amp/speakers do you recommend? I'm not one to really crank my radio a lot (but I do occasionally), and I care nothing about the people on the opposite side of the road being able to hear and feel my music a half mile down the road.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

2. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

If you dont ever crank the music very loud then the factory speakers will be fine for a while. Once you start listening to music at a level above normal, your factory speakers may start to fail. I am a big fan of Alpine Type R speaker systems. There are many options out there for factory replacement speakers. You can go into an entry level speaker that is fairly cheap and will not require an amp. When you start looking into component systems and speakers with high RMS ratings then you will want to run them with an amp or you will take the chance of blowing them. I have had my truck with my JVC head unit for 4 years now and still have the factory speakers. I do listen to my music louder than most. My speakers just recently started to distort and my righ rear speaker is blown.

A lot of info I know. Overall, if you keep your radio at a normal sound level, you should be fine with your factory speakers.

3. medicmatt

That actually helps. One big thing I don't know about is the component vs. 2-way speaker deal. With the 2-way speakers they seem to have tweeters built in. My problem is I have them in the A-post pillars so I'm not sure how that would interact with what's in there already.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  4. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have never dealt with anything that already had factory tweeters installed. My first thought is to leave the tweeters and replace the speakers with a decent set of 2-way speakers.

I know it may be sin to say this here but, an excellent option would be go to a well known stereo shop and ask for their input. Guys that work at these shops live and die by aftermarket stereo equipment, they are your subject matter experts. They may try to talk you into buying something right then and there but stick to your guns and just get some info from them on their opinion. Most that I have ran across are very knowledgeable and are willing to give good free advice.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Another option is to look on crutchfield.com. They have a place on there that will help with vehicle specific systems.

6. medicmatt

That's actually where I've been looking. I bought my system (and my wife's) from them. Just don't know a lot about what I'm looking at and what makes one better than another.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With the Crossover's in your new radio You can cut off the Bass level a bit and turn up the Volume more and still have a good sound.. Remember your new radio does give a little more power then the factory did. About 22 W RMS So your factorys will sound better. If you don't want to do a Amp the speakers I would get would be the JL Audio Tr Series or Focal Acces. Both have a very good Clean sound without the added power. Not to bright Good Midbass too...

8. medicmatt

Thanks, that's some of what I'm looking for!

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

no problem Just check out the cross over in the radio and Adj as needed and enjoy the sound and Oh ya..... Don't get lost....:lol:

10. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hey chevybulldog that's not a sin at all! I love hearing people recommend the local experts over crutchfield, don't get me wrong, crutchfield is a great source but coming from a local shop it's good to hear people referring the good ol' stereo shop of the Internet!