1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Speakers in 94 GMC 2500

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 94 Jimmy P/U, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

I've got 1 working speaker on the passenger side behind the seat in the wall of my 94 GMC 2500 . Im wanting to replace all 4 w/ Memphis Audio speakers . my buddy tells me they are 6x9 . itold him i told him i thought they were 5x7/ 6x8 speakers whos right here ?

Mack
  2. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well the door speakers are gonna be 6 inch round cones, and the rear speakers are 4x6 inch speakers, this is standard for all the C/K series trucks.
  3. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Thanks tiger. :great: Well neither 1 of us was right. but glad to know what size they are so i can get some more . tired of having just 1 speaker . @ least the other 3 anit crackling .

Mack
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

GM does not use a 5x7/6x8 If you are going to replace the 4x6 Look for a good 4in with the 4x6 adp you will get better sound...
  5. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Thanks Will do i have my eye on some Memphis Audio Speakers down in Memphis . I Didnt know you could get an 4x6 adp on a 4" speaker. thanks for the help.

must be Ford im thinking of that uses the 5x7/6x8 speakers . with the exception of owning Brigadiers, Generals & 9500 GMC Trucks this is the 1st personal GM Truck i owned since 1999 (bought this 94 gmc in 08 from my boss). i went 11 yrs owning Blue Ovals as a personal ride . running GMC as my work trucks along w/ Mack & AutoCar in my family business.

I got rusty on what all GM Trucks have VS The Blue Oval . Slowing relearning .

1 of the best trucks i ever owned was my 84'GMC K3500 4WD W/ 454,4SPD GRANNY LOW, Detroit Lockers,4:56 gears w/ 12' flatbed, 6 Co-op Grip Spurs 400 Gallon diesel tank, 2 top boxes, 2 under bed tool boxes , Kellogg Air compressor, Grease Pump, Oil Pump, Waste Oil Tank & AntiFreeze tanks, Snap-On Road Chest & 6 KC Daylighters 2 On headache rack, 2 on the top boxes & 2 in the bed next to the tail lights. had a kenwood stero w/ 6x9 speakers & a boom box behind the seat. that ole 1 Ton WAS A TOUGH JIMMY Truck would pull anything was gear bound @ 59mph but it got 8mpg you had to pull a gas station behind it but it got the job done .

Thanks

Mack
  6. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Actually you have 4x6s in the front and back for that year...terrible acoustic design :(
  7. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Ya the acoustic design in the 88-98 gm trucks imop are somthing to be desired. wish the speakers were a little bigger like they were in my 84 & 85 GM C 20 & K3500 . I had 6x9 in those .

Mack
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the 95-98/99 were completely different from the 88-94, with a 4x6 opening you can even get a 5 1/4 to 6 round in there, your dash 4x6 opening could probably get a 5 1/4 in there, but witth the windshield angle it could be very tough to actually get it in there, my factory 4x10 opening in my suburban have 6 1/2 round in there, just a tip any speaker size that has a x in it just isnt worth the money. They are a dying breed of speaker and just dont get the attention that the round speakers do. if you can afford it get a pair of kick panels for the footwells that can house some 6 1/2 speakers for the front and put in some 5 1/4 in the rear.
  9. 94 Jimmy P/U

94 Jimmy P/U Member

Thanks Vncj96 i wondered about kick pannels in the 94. Im still used to my ole 84'GMC K3500 Flatbed service truck & my ole 85' C20 Chevy i had .

i had a ton of parts for them & hardly any for the 94 C2500, having to start stockpiling parts for the 94' now .

Mack
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Speaking from vast professional installation experience, you can almost NEVER fit 5.25" speakers in an unmodified 4x6 opening...fabrication is almost always needed. I just upgraded my rears in my 04 to 5.25 and then again to 6.5. (which i don't suggest, stick with 5.25 in the rear....). 6.5s in the kick can be difficult because they don't quite fit as nicely as 5.25s but if u do modify them enough to fit they produce a very desirable out come