Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Speakers with bass?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 89steveo50, Aug 18, 2012.

1. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

So i currently have the stock speakers in my 02 sierra. I am looking to replace with with some better sounding speakers that add a little more oomph to the bass. I don't want to had a sub-woofer to my truck for I have no space for it, but I want speakers that will sound very impressing. I'm not looking to spend $300 on a set of speakers either,

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That is going to be a tough one. Typically smaller speakers have a harder time producing good bass. There are 3 main components to speakers...... The Tweeter (high pitches/ mainly voice), the mid range (like a woofer, but carries the middle tones better) and then the woofer (BASS).

Most basic car speakers like the we have in our front doors have a separate tweeter and then the mid range and the woofer are combined into one unit. What I would recommend is going to a local car stereo shop that you trust and look at their $199 speaker sets and listen to them and see which ones sound better you to.

Now, one other thing you could consider is a small inexpensive amplifier. Even with stock speakers, a small amplifier makes all the difference in the world as the speakers from the factory are under powered. The same speakers with a little more juice will sound completely different. and the extra juice is more apparent in the bass then the other parts.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't think the expectation/goal that has been set is reasonable. Why? Let's review: 89stevo50 wants drop-in replacement speakers that have bass ... and doesn't want to spend 300 clams. A set of quality speakers will easily run 300 clams ... and will sound like crap without an amp ... which will cost more than the speakers, themselves.

Reasonable expectations are needed...

4. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I second that surreal.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

And I 3rd it.... LOL As said above.. Your best Opt if you have the 02 with bucket seats. Is to get the JL Audio Box with the 10w3 in it that goes in the center and a small amp to power it. You will not lose much space and you will get some very good Low end BUT it will cost more then 300 Bucks..
    Also as I have said before the JL Audio TR's Have a nice Mid sound with lower power But again you will spend about $350-$450 for all the door speakers Comp's up front and Coax for the rear if you can swing it a 35Wx4 amp for them would make them sound better also...

Good Luck...

6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Aftermarket head unit with 35-40w per channel, and get appropriate set of Polk Audio db series speakers, with sets of foam baffles, for your truck. It will sound much better than stock, and provide the level of thump you're going for. Keeping the stock head unit, they'll still sound better than stock, but not as good as they would with more/cleaner power going to them. Should cost less than $200 for the speakers, and for $200-300 you can get a quite good head unit. Add another $50 for the adapter harness and bracketry, and you should be good.

Also, there's plenty of room in your truck to add a subwoofer.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Can you find me a Head unit that gives 35-40 Watts RMS??? Most if not ALL aftermarket radios will do between 16-22 watts RMS tops.. The Polk Db's are nice but they want about 59-50 Watts RMS to sound good.. Under that you will not have good clean sound.. Sorry...

As said if you have the funds Get a good 5Ch amp about 45-60 x4 and 250-500 x 1 and you can have a nice Clean sound..

Kenwood and JL Audio both make a good 5 Ch amps..

8. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

ok so your saying the rated rms on the heaf units are less then what they are telling us?

9. Enkeiavalanche

Yes!! 100 %

10. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I was takling listed rating on the HU. The Alpine CDA-9857 I have, which is 50w max per channel, and 18w typical, coupled with a set of Polk db6501 components in the doors, and db695 6x9s in the rear of the Mini Cooper I used to have, sounded pretty great. Of course it wasn't as good or loud as it could have been, but it wasn't expensive, and it did put out plenty of bass. It's definitely something worth recommending to someone looking for an upgrade to factory sound, who doesn't want to spend the money for installing a full system, or at least, who doesn't want to or can't afford to do it, all at once. Even powered by the factory head unit, they'll still sound great.

Everyone wants the best sounding system for the lowest price, but it's never going to happen. However, the setup I recommended is a great "starter kit" for someone who wants to build a system piecemeal, or just wants better than stock, and doesn't want to spend a lot.