Special Announcement - New Management for GMTruckClub.com starting today

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's hard to believe, but it's been over a decade since GMTruckClub.com started. Wow, 10 years! Time flies when you're having fun.

History of GMTruckClub.com
    The site was born out of frustration from me not being able to find a quality online community for Chevy trucks. Ten years ago, there really wasn't a place for GM truck owners to go online and engage with other Chevy owners, ask technical questions or share build ideas. Since I couldn't find a site to join, I decided to make my own.

So during the holidays of late 2004 the website was launched and the rest is history. Growth was slow early on, but we found our audience and started to grow like crazy. People found this site as a helpful and mature user-to-user community that had a knowledge user base and respectful tone, and we just kept growing. Today we're recognized as one of the largest GM truck community sites online.

Resource Constraints Holding Back Growth

However, as the site has gotten larger, from hundreds of viewers per month to hundreds of thousands, it's required more and more of my time to keep it running. In fact, the overall time requirement over the last year or so has been considerable and many weeks exceeds my free time. This has led to otherwise normal maintenance projects like server management, spam prevention and software updates, being dragged out for weeks or months.

Enter AutoGuide
    So, last summer the guys at AutoGuide.com contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in them taking over the website and they would manage the servers, the software and all of the technical headaches that I've faced over the years. At first I was hesitant, but the more I started looking into it, the more sense it made and last month I agreed to have them take over the site.

Today's the day, so without delay I would like to announce Phil at AutoGuide @forumadmin, who is on the site to answer any of your questions about the site transfer.

Thanks to everyone for making this site what it is today and let's work on another ten years of activity!

Steve, aka ChevyFan.

summitwhite11, thegawd and Chesters like this.
  2. forumadmin

forumadmin Admin

Hello everyone,

My name is Philip, I am a community manager for AutoGuide.com, I work with a small team that will manage the webmaster duties for Steve.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It?s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us it?s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier. You all contributed to building the strong foundation GMtruckclub.com was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,

Philip

3. Chesters

Chesters Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Steve, First of all thank you! Thanks for the time you have put into this monster, it has to have weighed hard on you, I can't imagine the countless hours you must of given up and hopefully will now be able to redirect back to your family.

Good job Steve I hope you are proud of your accomplishment and continue to watch it grow.

Thanks Steve

4. Chesters

Chesters Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Philip, Welcome, will Phil be ok or stick with Philip? I am sure we all will have a bit of a learning curve that will prove itself out ( always has here ) a bunch of gear heads here and we all seem to have high expectations, looking to help most anyone out with answers or directions when it comes to our GM trucks. It is a great site and a good community, each with their own expertise and willingness to share.

Thanks Philip
    Looking forward to working with you and your group

kennythewelder and thegawd like this.
  5. forumadmin

forumadmin Admin

Phil or Philip works all the same. There are a few of us that work on all the sites we manage but I will be the primary face you will see for at least the next few weeks while I introduce you to some of the support team folks and techs that will share this account.

-Philip

6. ChevyFan

Thanks for that note, I take a lot of pride in what this site is and can't wait to see how it continues to grow after the new team steps in.

thegawd likes this.
  7. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

Thank you Steve!!!! I did not realize that you were the mastermind behind the site! man you have personally helped me out when I was stuck more than once as well as alot of other GMTC members. THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH and thank you GMTC! This site rocks!!!

Welcome aboard Phil!

enjoy your free time Steve, you deserve it!

Al

mfleetwood and ChevyFan like this.
  8. ChevyFan

that's been one of the most cool things about running this site, I've heard from literally thousands of people over the last 10 years that they got a lot out of the site. Some people figured something out saving them a trip to the dealership or garage, some people got ideas allowing them to be more creative with their vehicle. Other people got more performance.

thegawd and summitwhite11 like this.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy All hail the Mad King!! Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the team. It'll be great to allow Steve more time to be active on the site, rather than fighting with servers in the dark of the night. He'll be able to get back to what he originally started this site for, helping and talking with fellow GM owners.

mfleetwood, thegawd and ChevyFan like this.
  10. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Active Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Steve, thanks for all the help you have given to me, and everyone else over time, I remember after first joining this site making an order for a part from one of the sites sponsors, well, the order didn't go smoothly, I spoke up and you sprung into action and the order went perfectly in the end. I did not ask for your help, you just did it. I knew then and there this was a special place for wrench's and novices alike, its proven this to be true so many times as I see so many people come for help and receive it. And its just fun making friends along the way with common interest. So, thank you for this great effort, it speaks highly of you, I know you have had some trying times as of late, and we have all included you and your family in our prayers, it will be nice to see you get some relief for family time. Phil, welcome aboard.

mfleetwood and ChevyFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.