1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Special Coolant for 96 S 10?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by spirittoo, Oct 14, 2012.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Howdy folks:meuh:... I have this coolant that is suppose to last the life of the truck ... I've never added to it the 17 years I've had the truck ... the coolant is very low and I want to know what I need to add to it. Thanks in advance.:great:
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Personally after 17 years I'd flush and fill with a good coolant, I've never trusted anything that promised to be good for life.
    Manufacturers were using coolants supposedly good for life a few years back, I thought GM sent a service bulletin out at one time recommending it be changed on a regular basis, that after testing it broke down and didnt last as long as they thought.
  3. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Need to Flush eh? Is it a do it yourself project?

Thanks for the reply ... I absolutely love your avatar:lol:Okay I will do that ... is special equipment require to flush the system or is it an easy do it yourself?:neutral: Any info on the forum on how to do it?:rules: What kind of coolant would you recommend? :idea:
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You can buy a flush kit at a local auto parts store, normally less than $10.

The flush kit hooks into your heater lines and you attach it to your garden hose, run fresh water through the system while the trucks running with the heater turned on and the bottom radiator petcock/drain valve open.
    After a few minutes of this the entire system should be flushed out. Shut everything off and disconnect the garden hose and recap the flush adaptor (it stays connected to the truck permanently).
    Dont forget to disconnect the over flow and flush it out by sticking the running garden hose into it until fresh water displaces all the old anti freeze.
    Drain the radiator of fresh water and refill with your anti freeze mix, empty out the over flow and refill it with anti freeze mix, then run the engine and make sure it reach's correct operating temperature, allow to run a few moments and after shutting off check to make sure you have proper levels.

If you feel you need to run a cleaner/chemical flush through the system do that before you connect the flush kit, follow the directions on the package.

I prefer Prestone myself but have had good results with Dexcool, and if I have a tempermental cooling system I'll use Redline Water Wetter.

The whole flush and fill should take around an hour and only requires a knife to cut the heater line, screwdriver to attach the flush adaptor, and garden hose.
  5. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Youtube

:meuh:I was checking out youtube and it showed how you can flush your system with just a garden hose. I was looking at my manual and I see that I need to change the antifreeze.:rules: It is definitely time. :gasp: I need that Dex-Cool. Depending on how bad the system is will determine if I use something along with the flush ... I don't think I need it,:no: the flush should be enough. I'm going to see if I can get what I need and do the job tomorrow or Tuesday ... I will let you know how it goes.:mdr:
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

While you have it apart, it is also a good time to change the thermostat.
  7. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Take apart?

I didn't see anything in the video that required me to take anything apart:neutral: ... all I have to do is open the outlet on the bottom of the radiator ... drain the old ... then with the outlet still open run the hose in the radiator until the water is clear:whistle: .... then turn the engine on ... let it get to operating temp ... with the water hose still running ... then turn the heater on for a few minutes until the cab gets warm ... then stop the engine ... after draining close the outlet and fill the radiator with new coolant and that is it ... :eyes:
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sorry, it was slang for while the system is empty.

The thermostat is a temperature sensitive dam that stops the flow of water while the engine is cold. When the coolant gets hot, the thermostat opens to allow circulation. The thermostat is designed to open at a certain temperature. They do wear out and start opening at lower temps.

You can change the thermostat while the system is full, but some coolant will leak out. The time to change it is when the engine is being flushed.

PS, I don't think it is a good idea to start the engine and run it until the system is flushed, all drains closed and the system is refilled (my 2 cents)
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have to agree. If you have had that coolant in there for 17 years then you mine as well change the thermostat while you are at it. It is bound to fail sooner or later.
  10. 87silver

87silver Member 1 Year

FYI, Dex Cool was designed to have a service life of 150,000. The issue with it was how it reacted with air within a cooling system for those who did not maintain the proper coolant level (or didn't know they had to). I have found that if you closely maintain the coolant level, you won't have the issue of premature deterioration of head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets and other associated intake components. I had about 90,000 miles on a 1993 Blazer before flushing/changing the coolant, but kept it maintained. Never turned brown; always stayed red. Never had an issue with the engine. If you have not maintained the coolant level, or bought your truck used, then it should be definitely flushed/changed.