Special Coolant for 96 S 10?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by spirittoo, Oct 14, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. spirittoo

spirittoo New Member

Okay ...

I have to run the engine ... there is no other way to flush the heater coils ... The whole system has to be flushed and the water hose will be running along with the engine.

I don't know where the thermostat is located ... or how hard it would be to replace it, how can I find out where it is?

The coolant level, is pretty low, but the color is still red ... if fact it doesn't look bad at all ... I want to say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it was been 17 years and I did buy the truck when it was a year old.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok, I'll try this as politely as I can: The only thing a running engine can provide is a spinning water pump. The water pump can not pump water unless the engine is full, hot and running. If you feel the correct way to flush a heater core is to open the drain, run a garden hose into the system and then start the engine, I only ask that you seek at least one more opinion before you do it.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You only need to run the engine for the flush IF you are doing it with a thermostat in. If you have the Tstat out then you can get water to flow to the heater core. If it is in then you need to get the tstat warm enough to open and let the old coolant and new water flow out. We used to hose flush with the top radiator hose off, engine running, all the time when I worked in the garage. We just kept the radiator full with clean water and ran until the water coming out of the top hose was clear. Then drained the radiator and filled it with coolant.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

spirittoo, [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION]'s suggestion will work for you. The difference is that he is opening the system at the top, this keeps the engine full of coolant, let's the water get hot, lets the t-stat open. You need to keep water in the engine, or it will overheat.