1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Special tool?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BQS4, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BQS4

BQS4 New Member

Is there a special tool to release the tension on the serpatine belt system to change the belt. This is for a '99 Suburban 5.7 with a/c and p/s
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Nope you just need a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar and just put it in to the square spot on the tensionor.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Like Conlan said just a ratchet works fine. There actually is a special tool that makes it a little easier. It is a long skinny bar that you can put different adapters in, (1/2", 3/8", and some different sized sockets come with it) They are around $15 at harbor freight. I have one, but only use it when working on certain cars were there is no room between the fender wall and the tensioner to get a ratchet in there. This is the cheap one I have
    [​IMG]
  4. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Agree with the previous posts. All you need is the 3/8" ratchet/bar. I actually just changed my tensioner a few weeks ago so I had to remove the belt. The whole job took all of 15 minutes. The belt on this 5.7 is probably one of the easier ones I've ever removed...
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

If your working on a fwd vehicle pikeys serpentine tool is awesome, that's the only thing that would work on my Hhr. Otherwise 3/8" ratchet works great, wear gloves just in case it slips and you cut your knuckles up on the inner fender not that I would know lol!