Special wiring harness needed for aftermarket stereo???

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by RAPTOR_660, Sep 30, 2008.

1. RAPTOR_660

RAPTOR_660 Rockstar

I bought an 06 Silverado a couple months ago and I called Best Buy to see if they have any wiring harnesses in stock so I could hook up my stereo system.For some odd reason it costs $120???

When I got my S-10 6 years ago the harness only cost around $20

Can someone please explain the $100 price increase for me?I know harnesses are model specific,but why does it cost so much?

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here's what I've found out with just a little research. The harness is not just a regular wiring harness. It is an actual module that helps you keep your onstar here's some of the information....

Thinking about replacing your radio in your new vehicle? This plug and play interface will allow the retention of OnStarĀ® in your vehicle without BoseĀ® audio system (If you have a Bose System, and want to keep it working, CLICK HERE). Door chimes, RAP, audible blinker indication and Rear Park Assist (RPA) is all retained when this interface is used! This is a fully integrated interface that will allow you to keep your car functioning just like it did before you replaced your radio. ANY QUESTIONS? CHAT WITH US LIVE CLICK HERE
    Keeps the valuble Onstar working properly with your new radio, if you do not have Onstar or are not interested in keeping the service CLICK HERE for a interface to better suit you
    Provides +12v databus generated switched accessory output with R.A.P. No more searching for switched +12v in fuse box or kick panel
    Steering wheel radio control wire output; can be used with SWI interface to control most new radios. No need to go to steering wheel column to find wires. CLICK HERE to see which SWI interface you need to retain your factory steering wheel controls
    New radio will operate with the vehicle R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) system. This feature will keep the radio on, while the car is off, but before the door is opened. Just like the factory radio did
    Retains warning chimes and audible turn signals
    Retains Vehicle Parking Assist indicator and chimes
    Retains Rear Seat Audio headphone jacks. Dual zone can be retained using Dual Zone radios

3. Springthing

btw- $100 looks to be about the correct price, +/-

4. RAPTOR_660

RAPTOR_660 Rockstar

Does factory amp mean the factory stereo?

If so I dont have onstar,so I'm assuming I would need the one in the second column from the left?

Also,its just a regular Sony stereo.No navigation

Thanks for the info by the way:great:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  5. Springthing

I have no idea what you'll need for what and all. I just did a quick search and found that information.

*** Mods ==> apologies on the links in the above post. Didn't pay any attention that the links would actually come through in the copy&paste ***

6. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That list will not fit ur truck if u noticed it's for 07-08's ur is an 06
    also the biggest thing is that the harness will allow u to keep ur door chimes
    and if u have steering wheel controls then thats another harness needed.

i went to crutchfields.com for mine and they send you all the harness's for free when u buy a radio from them .

7. RAPTOR_660

RAPTOR_660 Rockstar

Well,I have no steering wheel controls,so all its for is so I can keep my door chimes?How stupid! :lol:

8. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, the harness you would need will allow you to keep all of your door chimes and audible alerts. The one on Crutchfield.com is around $70, I think. Wal-Mart sells one that does the same thing for about $35 or so. I think it's just a harness with a speaker attached so you can still hear your dings and chimes.

TahoeFever, I have done research on Crutchfield, and it says you have to buy the door chime harness seperate (at least for the Kenwood unit I was looking at). Am I looking at that wrong, or have they changed since you bought yours?

9. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

FYI
    I did some playing around on Crutchfield.com (slow day at the office :)). When I added a head unit and the door chime harness to my cart, it gave an automatic discount on the harness. The list price is $79.99, and it knocked it down to $39.99. Thought that may help if you plan on ordering through them. I've always heard good things about Crutchfield.

10. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

heck alot better than paying 120 for a stupid harness :)