1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Specific programmer ?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jwest11, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jwest11

jwest11 New Member

Gas 08 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 5.3

I've done extensive reseach on two programmers:

1.) Edge Evolution

2.) Diablo Predator

As with all aftermarket parts, I've seen pros and cons on both...

I like the factory look of the Edge, but have heard the Predator can make your chevy run like the wind...

My personal goals for a programmer, in order, are as follows:

1. MPG
    2. Ability to use 87 and 93 octane
    3. Performance
    3. Towing

Anyone with personal experience w/ similar set-ups and/or applications?

Advice is greatly appreciated...
  2. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

i just got the diablo bout 2 1/2 weeks ago and i love it. i saw about a 4 mpg increase in town, and once i turned off the torque management, i really saw the diff. go with the diablo, wont go wrong. i havent done any towing so i dunno bout that one, and you have the option to run whatever octane u choose. i also heard u can do a few more things with the diablo than the edge, believe me i was in the same spot u are now about 3 weeks ago. edge cs or whatever? u cant go wrong with either, they both do bout the same, i think diablo puts a little more down to the pavement tho ;] makes them tires scream
  3. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

good post nickpatton, that was solid info
  4. nickpatton_189

thanks, so any idea on the one you want?
  5. jwest11

jwest11 New Member

Well...not sure about "Stealth," but now you have me set on the diablo predator!

I will be ordering the diablo this week. Will keep you posted with the results..

DUMB/NEWBIE QUESTION:
    The reason I'm not going with a Blackbear custom tune is b/c I want to mod my truck a little more b/f I put the custom tune. Can't afford all the mods I want now, i.e. CAI or RAM air, headers, exhaust, TBS, etc..., and the custom tune all at one time. Too much $ to throw at my pickup at one time.

I know you have to have all the mods you want installed b/f you can get a custom tune...

But w/ the programmers, can you add mods (one at a time) and have the programmer re-adjust to the mod(s) you installed? Common sense tells me yes, but I would like a definite answer.
  6. nickpatton_189

yea you just go in an adjust the parameters, i had that same idea about a custom tune from wait4me, i didnt end up going with it cause my trucks not too modded and i wanted to add more as i went along and didnt wanna have to worry about either having to deal with the tune with new mods or just sending it back and them doing it again and charging a little fee. that is why i went with the programmer cause you can do it as you go with the new mods you get. and if you have any questions about what should be adjusted when adding what, im sure someone on here can help out with that. let me know how you like the hell raiser!
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

specific programmer

Once you get your Diablo take the time to go on there forum and you can learn a wealth of info on how to fine tune your truck.
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would also recommend the Predator, having just bought one yesterday. The power increase was a lot better than I expected it to be, and it is nice to be able to tune the parameters that you want. I lost a couple of MPG for the time being, but I havent had time to finish dialling in my Long Term Fuel Trims yet, so I am expecting it to be fine once I have time to dial them properly.
  9. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Will you guys all write to Diablo and ask them to create a programmer for the S10? I really like their programmers, from what you guys have told me.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is a bit unfortunate that the predator only covers relatively few types of vehicles, but on the other hand, I think they put their focus on making really good products for a few vehicles rather than a somewhat-ok product for every vehicle, and even if my truck werent supported, I support that approach because thats something that not a lot of companies still do today. Hopefully they will have one for your S10 at some point, but i would say it would take a bit of pressure to build a product for a discontinued vehicle.