1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Spectre dropin air filter?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Pikey, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Does anyone have an opinion about the spectre drop in air filters? I can get one basically free. But, I always see mare air flow= bigger particles getting thru. Any opinions on these would be appreciated. I ran a k&n drop in on my 02 and never had any issues.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Those filters from spectra are only meant to last the same as two or three changes of a reg filter and the cleaning kit is hard to find. The K&N drop in comes with a million mile warranty and the kits are easy to find.

3. Pikey

It has a lifetime warranty and I have about 4 of the K&n kits laying around so I will just use those

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I did not know it had a lifetime warranty. I was reading reviews for it a while back and people said it was junk and didn't last as long as they had though even with proper cleaning. I don't know maybe the people were doing something wrong. Personally I'm getting a K&N drop in because it has great reviews and even though its more expensive it comes with a great warranty.

5. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

couldn't you just use the k&n recharge kit with the spectre air filter? out of curiosity...

6. Pikey

that is what I planned on doing. The spectre kit is supposed to be designed so you don't over oil the filter. I never had an issue over oiling my k&n filters so I am not concerned.

7. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

i was wondering cause i bought the spectre cold air intake for my 03 silverado. it's getting dirty and i need to clean it soon. but i had an old k&n recharge kit in the shop so i was thinking of doing the same. lol

8. dbb06

dbb06 Member

I have had a spectre drop-in for 2 years and haven't had any problems. I just checked it last week and it wasn't very dirty for having around 20k miles through it. I only paid like $20 for it too so it was less than half the price of the K&N.

9. Pikey

I had it in for 2 weeks. My MPG dropped from 19 on the freeway to 16-17. I took it out and put the old AC delco filter back in and it went back to 19+ almost instantly. No need to say that I have returned the filter.