Spectre dropin air filter?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Pikey, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Does anyone have an opinion about the spectre drop in air filters? I can get one basically free. But, I always see mare air flow= bigger particles getting thru. Any opinions on these would be appreciated. I ran a k&n drop in on my 02 and never had any issues.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Those filters from spectra are only meant to last the same as two or three changes of a reg filter and the cleaning kit is hard to find. The K&N drop in comes with a million mile warranty and the kits are easy to find.

3. Pikey

It has a lifetime warranty and I have about 4 of the K&n kits laying around so I will just use those

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I did not know it had a lifetime warranty. I was reading reviews for it a while back and people said it was junk and didn't last as long as they had though even with proper cleaning. I don't know maybe the people were doing something wrong. Personally I'm getting a K&N drop in because it has great reviews and even though its more expensive it comes with a great warranty.

5. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

couldn't you just use the k&n recharge kit with the spectre air filter? out of curiosity...

6. Pikey

that is what I planned on doing. The spectre kit is supposed to be designed so you don't over oil the filter. I never had an issue over oiling my k&n filters so I am not concerned.

7. chevy03

chevy03 New Member

i was wondering cause i bought the spectre cold air intake for my 03 silverado. it's getting dirty and i need to clean it soon. but i had an old k&n recharge kit in the shop so i was thinking of doing the same. lol

8. dbb06

dbb06 Member

I have had a spectre drop-in for 2 years and haven't had any problems. I just checked it last week and it wasn't very dirty for having around 20k miles through it. I only paid like $20 for it too so it was less than half the price of the K&N.

9. Pikey

I had it in for 2 weeks. My MPG dropped from 19 on the freeway to 16-17. I took it out and put the old AC delco filter back in and it went back to 19+ almost instantly. No need to say that I have returned the filter.