1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

speed o meter

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jason2188, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jason2188

jason2188 New Member

05 gmc 2500 4 wheel drive, speed o meter quits working or does not read right. driving down highway about 55 mph but it said 18 mph but next day starts working again. have changed vss sensor. anything else i could try...
    thanks....
  2. z71boiler

z71boiler New Member

May be the insturment cluster

I don't know about 2500 series, but I just replaced the cluster in my 03 suburban. Had the same problem or it wouldn't work at all. This was done at no cost to me because it is a common problem, but it may be different for a 2500 series (I'm assuming truck) and being a different model year.
  3. werty

werty New Member

I too have also heard these were the ploblem...the cluster that is!
  4. jason2188

jason2188 New Member

thanks for yalls help, i found that the stepper motor was bad in the cluster. dealer ship said had to replace cluster. but i bought stepper motor online and repaired myself for cost of 12.50 instead of 600 for new cluster