speed ometer

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 4321chris, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 4321chris

4321chris New Member

Just got new tires now the speed ometer is messed up does not work right at all is there a way to reset this chevy silverado 2005 5.3

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

You will need something to tell the ECM your new tire size. Hypertech makes a module (#32500) for your year Silverado. On my old 2008 Silverado, I needed to do the same thing as I went from the factory 17" wheels to 20".

3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You will need to buy a programmer or have it tuned. OR you can just live with it until you finish doing bolt-on's etc then tune so you wont have to keep tuning. Nelson performance does free re-tuning after the first but im not sure how the down time works on the re-tunes.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Only problem with "living with it", is the different tire size throws off the shift point quite a bit. Before I got my computer adjusted, the transmission used to hunt for the right gear and kind of lugged the engine. After I fixed the problem, the hunting went away.

If you have a manual transmission, this is not an issue.

I don't know the long term impacts on something like this, but it can't be good.