1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

speedometer dont work plus more? please help

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Curky, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts

OK, blinkers, speedometer, trans. temp don't work. Airbag light is on also seat belt light is on when wearing it. The blinkers work on the outside when i turn them on but not in the control panel. Some one told me it might be the control panel cluster? If you think you might know what it is, how much am i talking here? Help not a good day. Thanks.......
    To top it off city did some taring and did not put up cones. Now my front rt tire is loaded w/tar. Still working on that
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

I seem to suggest this quite often, but I am going to have to suggest a bad or lifted ground to the cluster. It could be other things as well, but the easiest and cheapest thing to do is to start by making sure it has a good connection to ground.
  3. Curky

Ok, ill turned it on to move 2ins to turn tires to continue to dig at tar on tire. Everything worked?
  4. Curky

[MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION] isnt the ground wired a clip wire. how would that go? or where?
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts

:rofl:your gonna get a T.W.I (typing while intoxicated):sign0020:
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

The first thing to do is to pull the cluster out and inspect the contacts where they mate to the connector in the dash. Make sure the cluster contacts and the dash connector are clean and free of any corrosion. Spray a dab of electrical contact cleaner in the connector. Figure out which wire in the harness is the ground and test the resistance to the chassis with a meter. If you have a shake ground at the connector, trace the wire backwards to check it on the other end... You might need a factory service manual for tracking down wiring.
  7. Curky

Lmao- i was on my third. I hate using my phone on any web site. I cant type any good. And either my brain is going faster than my typing or my typing is going faster than my brain. Lol

Looks like my plains for the weekend are set. Thanks for the help.